Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Play though a hand with me here....

bet $1600
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM

OP wins with 5 high?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Assani is a genius. That is all.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM

did anyone else ever read the waiting for godot post like over a year ago? That's what this reminds me of.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what happened on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, got caught up with something....

Ok, so I decide to check the turn. I don't want to be check raised and I have a draw, so I'll gladly see a free card if I can. And I do! The LP guy sits there and thinks for honestly a good minute, which was pretty strange to me. But he then checked.

River is another ace. The board is now: 2-7-J-A-A with no possible flushes.

The SB checks. BB presumably was still feeling sick from the tea. He mucked his hand and ran towards the nearest bathroom. UTG then checks yet again! No real reads on either of them at this point other than what I mentioned on the flop post.

So now its up to me. The guy who I thought was the most feared player has just mucked. Two opponents have checked the river including the UTG preflop raiser who I'm completely stumped about right now. LP quickly checked the flop, which made me think he had nothing but then he took forever to check on the turn. Theres 2000 in the pot. I have absolutely nothing.

Do you bluff here? If so, how often? And how much?

In case you don't feel like going back, here was my analysis of LP:

"Guy in LP is probably one of the weaker players at the table- not because he is reckless, but because he is very predictable. I talked to him before the tourney and found out that he had won his way in through a sattlite and had never played at anywhere near these stakes. And it showed. He was pretty much playing straightforward ABC poker. Pretty much you could believe his bets for what they represented, and you could push him off a marginal hand easily."

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright guys, I'm bumping this for more replies. Yes I realize that I haven't been timely with my replies in this thread, and I apologize for that. I am sorry. Now can we please get over that and discuss the actual hand? I've gotten very few replies to this part of the problem and I think it is the most interesting part, and this has greatly frustrated me. If we can get a solid analysis of the play on the river, then I promise to post the full results a day or two after discussion dies down. So what do you do here? Do you bluff? Check and concede the hand? Mix up your play? Please include reasoning and analysis. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what happened on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, got caught up with something....

Ok, so I decide to check the turn. I don't want to be check raised and I have a draw, so I'll gladly see a free card if I can. And I do! The LP guy sits there and thinks for honestly a good minute, which was pretty strange to me. But he then checked.

River is another ace. The board is now: 2-7-J-A-A with no possible flushes.

The SB checks. BB presumably was still feeling sick from the tea. He mucked his hand and ran towards the nearest bathroom. UTG then checks yet again! No real reads on either of them at this point other than what I mentioned on the flop post.

So now its up to me. The guy who I thought was the most feared player has just mucked. Two opponents have checked the river including the UTG preflop raiser who I'm completely stumped about right now. LP quickly checked the flop, which made me think he had nothing but then he took forever to check on the turn. Theres 2000 in the pot. I have absolutely nothing.

Do you bluff here? If so, how often? And how much?

In case you don't feel like going back, here was my analysis of LP:

"Guy in LP is probably one of the weaker players at the table- not because he is reckless, but because he is very predictable. I talked to him before the tourney and found out that he had won his way in through a sattlite and had never played at anywhere near these stakes. And it showed. He was pretty much playing straightforward ABC poker. Pretty much you could believe his bets for what they represented, and you could push him off a marginal hand easily."

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright guys, I'm bumping this for more replies. Yes I realize that I haven't been timely with my replies in this thread, and I apologize for that. I am sorry. Now can we please get over that and discuss the actual hand? I've gotten very few replies to this part of the problem and I think it is the most interesting part, and this has greatly frustrated me. If we can get a solid analysis of the play on the river, then I promise to post the full results a day or two after discussion dies down. So what do you do here? Do you bluff? Check and concede the hand? Mix up your play? Please include reasoning and analysis. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just stumbled on this thread, and haven't read all the previous discussions, but I'll put in my $0.02 on the river.

I think UTG most likely has a small pair like 44 (even the most trappy player is betting a big hand by now). One of the other two could easily have a 7 or a weak J that they were afraid to bet on the flop, and then got scared by the A turn. I think any of these hands will call a resonable river bet, so don't do it. Just check and move on to the next hand. FWIW, I think the way you played the hand to this point is fine.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:59 PM

[X] Thread delivers
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Just for kicks,

If you really have a good read on the two first players and believe they both have nothing and that the LP is so predictable ( meaning he obv isnt checking a hand on the turn there and river didnt help) go ahead and bet half the pot, the money is completly dead
Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM

LP oviously has the only hand that might call, somehow you have to convince him that you have his pair of 6's beat.

Here's where your acting lessons pay off. You're only going to get any chips here by acting. Try to sell the idea that you were afraid your pair of 7s is no good, but you're going to bet them anyway, for value.

check your cards again, raise one eyebrow ever so slightly, count your chips a few times, look back at your cards, sigh heavily (carefull, though, you don't want to over-sell) then bet 10% of your stack.

Maybe stand up if he takes his time, but don't say word.

Regards

Gar

Hell of a post, btw. I laughed at least twice.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM

I opened this thread because it had the most replies on the front page, and thus I assumed it would have the most vigorous discussion.

I was wrong.

I am glad, though, to have discovered the magic of oat running.

w/r/t hand:

I'm not bluffing with 5 high into a pot where multiple tricky villains are involved. We had a plan, it didn't work, and we might be falling into a trap; we have lots of chips yet and we can find a better spot to chip up.