Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

Tomba!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mario 64 should be like number 99. It was a great game when it came out and was revolutionary, but it's borderline unplayable now because of the camera angles.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is crazy. Mario 64, along with Ocarina of Time (and maybe Link to the Past) may be the game in history that holds up best. The camera angles really aren't that bad and everything else about the game is flawless. If you took a kid who hasn't been exposed to video games yet and had him play Super Mario 64 and 5 games of your choosing, I think he would say SM64 is the best a vast majority of the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mario 64 should be like number 99. It was a great game when it came out and was revolutionary, but it's borderline unplayable now because of the camera angles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mario 64 and OOT are the only reasons I still have a N64 in my attic. Mario 64 should be in the #15 at least and possibly top 5. It revolutionized the 3d platformer and is still fun to play ten years later.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM

I love SM64, but most of the difficulty in the game came from game mechanics, like camera issues.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor post on so many levels. If it is unplayable now, it was always unplayable. Just because other games have improved camera doesn't mean SM64 isn't one of the most fun games of all time (note I didn't say revolutionary). That's like saying SMB3 is unplayable today because the graphics suck. It is not hard to adjust your camera, and is only relevant in certain situations. For most of the game the camera isn't a big problem and certainly doesn't render it unplayable.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 AM

Back when it was first released camera issues were still a problem, but you could overlook it because the game was innovative and people didn't have an expectation of competent camera mechanics.

[ QUOTE ]
That's like saying SMB3 is unplayable today because the graphics suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to the same. SMB3's poor graphics don't make it difficult for the player to interact with the game. SM64's poor camera makes it difficult for the player to interact with the game.

Also to Junt Monkey: Basically every Crash Bandicoot game is better than Mario 64
Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also to Junt Monkey: Basically every Crash Bandicoot game is better than Mario 64

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a really bold statement. I think it would take a whole lot to top SM64
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Crash Bandicoot may not have the open worlds, but it does have the fast-paced, platforming fun that is superior to Mario 64. Then when you consider that there are no camera issues it's a slam dunk.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM

Mario 64 has better camera angles than 95% or more games out there now where camera can be considered an issue (see 2D games fighting games and most sports games). I said it and I'm not taking it back. There are no open 3D platform and adventure games when the camera doesn't get in the way at some point if the camera is being controlled by the user. Factzor. Mario 64>Banjo-Kazooie>Sonic Adventure>Sunshine>Jak and Dexter>Mario Galaxy...you will be frustrated by camera angles in every one of these games at some point. It happens.

"but you could overlook it because the game was innovative and people didn't have an expectation of competent camera mechanics."

Yeah, and Mario 64 invented those mechanics. 99th...lols.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious questions: When is the last time you played Mario 64? I can only assume it has been a very long time ago, because the game is brilliant with a few issues and that is being picky. I've played two Crash games (although not the highest scoring Warped or whatever). They aren't even close to the same level, merely in the same genre (yeah, you jump in both...)

Reviews for the 3 crash games on IGN were 7.5, 8.1, and 9.1.
So after 3 tries, Crash's best effort wasn't very close to Mario 64's one game.

Mario 64's was: 9.8

"Nintendo 64's early flagship title demonstrates the power of the hardware as well as the creative genius of Miyamoto and team. Not only does the game obliterate every platformer before it in terms of visual finesse, it plays just as well if not infinitely better than previous 2D incarnations of the Mario franchise. 3D worlds are huge and cleverly laid-out so that there's never a dull moment. Secrets play a huge part of the experience, recapturing the classic gameplay style of the series. In fact, this game is exactly as one might hope it would be: Mario in 3D. More freedom, more space, more options, better graphics, improved and elaborated control schemes -- it's all there. Possibly the greatest videogame achievement ever. Don't rent. Buy."

Mario 64 is seen high up on almost every top 100 or best videogames ever list. It is usually a top 10 title. I'm not sure I have ever seen a Crash game on almost any top list.