Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

Lots of people who you talk to about what stakes you play and how much you make prob are the donks donating. If a random guy hears that someone plays 400nl and is making 10k a month, they probably want to go home deposit 400 and sit with the entire thing at one table thinking thats how poker works.

Maybe if everyone boasted about how much they were making, it would be an overall +EV for poker.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Its best to open the talk with a bad beat story.. Pleople love to hear how you busted 5 from the bubble with Ace/10 offsuit to pocket queens when you got it all in pre-flop and failed to catch your ace..
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree that poker conversations with non players never go well, but it’s hard not to talk about something that dominates a large part of my time. At least it’s hard for me.

You get the whole, “What you been up to lately?” or “What’s new”. I have to say “Not much”, but actually A LOT has been going on. I have busted my ass the last few months putting more time and energy into something than anything else in my entire life. I put a lot of “blood, sweat, and tears” into this game.

Am I weak if I want to in a way brag about my success? Not in a Ha Ha I’m rich bitch, rub it in your face type of way, more in the sense that I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish and want to share with friends and family.

It’s hard to not speak about poker.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

People often understand EV with the dice example.

"Let´s say we roll a dice and I win $1 if a 1 or 2 comes and you win $1 when a 3, 4, 5, or 6 comes ...."
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And hopefully it will stay this way. If everyone understood the ins and outs of gambling it would be horrible. So cmon guys be carefull what you wish for, and at least you can make it more fun by saying something along the lines " I am such a degen and gambler that no one will be ever jealous"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a single person on the planet, including Sklansky, understands every single in and out of gambling. Seriously.

But if all people had a better understading of gambling than they do now then things would be much better.
People would still suck at it but I think some of the misconceptions that the anti-gambling lawmakers might have would be lessened significantly.

About talking poker with other people: I really just don't do it.
Sometimes I get roped into it and I just try to be as vague as possible.
My favorite is when somebody is all excited to tell me about some hand they saw on TV, "The first guy had an ace and a king...and the other gy had a pair of 7's...and the first guys went all-in...and then the other guy was thinking and thinking about it and then he called!!! And then the one guy hit 3 of a kind!!!"
note, I did not ask WHICH one guy hit 3 of a kind because I really didn't care.
The way people describe hands to me that they saw on TV is similar to some guy who watched a football game, "OMG!! Some team got the ball first and then they scored,...and then the other team was about to score but they fumbled instead and it was all very exciting!!"
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't do it, it's seriously a waste of time

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM

I've found that I just piss people off when I talk about poker. I still can't convince my friend that it's not a luck game, he's convinced that "it's all luck, and knowing the numbers a bit."
While he deposits 50 bucks at a time and loses it quick.

I'm lucky enough to have a family that plays poker and just gambles in general (Asians and Mexicans ldo) so I can semi-talk to them, but they just don't understand it the same way I do. It shines every time we play in our weekly tournaments too. I raised from the button after a couple of limpers with KTs, to try and pick up some dead money, and I got reraised arrr in by my uncle who's re-raising range is AQ+ JJ+, so it's an easy fold. I laid it down face up and everyone said "I would've never folded that." This was just when I was starting to feel a little better about them. Whatever though, that's probably why I win every week.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM

I showed my friend a HH the other day of how i lose a 13k pot and he automatically assumed I had a gambling problem. Who cares, let them grind in the cubicle.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM

It's even tougher if you have girlfriend who constantly asks things like "How much are you down?" Not only does she have no idea what she's talking about, but doesn't care to know and won't shut up until the answer is a number. I've tried to explain it to her over and over and over again and she just doesn't care and keeps on nagging. That's impossible to solve short of making enough to shut her up or dumping her.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

I wish I had kept my mouth shut. I finally told my roomates how I do in poker and now they all want lessons. They all want to put $50 online and have me help them turn it into a billion dollars overnight. Or they want to give me money and take a piece of me.