Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Advanced Degree Paths into Trading

Hi, is anyone into oil trading? How issit different from financial instruments trading?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Interesting thread. How hard would it be for someone with an undergrad from outside of the US to get into one of the better financial MS programs in the US?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 AM

Not too difficult if you would have been good enough to get in if you were from the US. (Berkeley and Stanford both have class profiles up on the net. I think slightly less than half are from outside of America)
Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Ok good, I hope so.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 AM

i was a bme/ee. they like hard sciences, math, egr out of undergrad. just get yourself in as many interviews as you can and sell yourself. poker can help in trading specific interviews but it is a high variance approach to interviewing as people view poker in different ways.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 AM

PhD finance from a top school is ideal, if you can get into one. It'll take you ~5yrs, but you'd be superman after that.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PhD finance from a top school is ideal, if you can get into one. It'll take you ~5yrs, but you'd be superman after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you won't be
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was a bme/ee. they like hard sciences, math, egr out of undergrad. just get yourself in as many interviews as you can and sell yourself. poker can help in trading specific interviews but it is a high variance approach to interviewing as people view poker in different ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Jason just said ,and knowing he just started his career on WS with a top-tier firm.....selling yourself, can sometimes go WAAAAAY beyond your degree,particular school,graduate/doctorate,etc, and can be the difference in starting your financial career on the right path

That initial interview/impression is extermely important from my experience

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I suck, what does bme/ee mean?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting a PhD is certainly something I feel I might wanna do in the future. Not sure though what it takes to get into one of the top schools... I'm gonna contact the education guides at my school and ask how good they think my chances are and what previous students have been able to do. The thing is I'm not sure how a Swedish undergrad is viewed in the US, especially at the top schools. Even if I'm from one of the best (if not THE best) Swedish engineering schools with top grades, I've no idea how much that is worth when applying for a MS or PhD program at a top American school. I'm sure there will be a whole bunch of other top students from all around the world applying for the same positions, and my guess is that they'll have an advantage if they're from the US, or a more well known school. Won't it take at least ~7 years to finish PhD? 3 years for undergrad, 2 for MS, and ~2 for PhD, or perhaps I can finish quicker somehow?

[ QUOTE ]
As Jason just said ,and knowing he just started his career on WS with a top-tier firm.....selling yourself, can sometimes go WAAAAAY beyond your degree,particular school,graduate/doctorate,etc, and can be the difference in starting your financial career on the right path

That initial interview/impression is extermely important from my experience

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds very reasonable. I heard from someone there was some sort of finance club at my school, and they arranged lectures etc with people from the industry, which sounds like a great opportunity to make some contacts and get some insight into the industry. I'll try to find more info about this as well.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if being superman is being a business school professor or something.