Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Default wasn\'t sure where else to put this strange tipping question ...

A friend of mine asked me the proper protocol for this as I usually play poker tournaments, but I wasn't sure what to tell him.

He participated in a sort of a 'lottery raffle' where he purchased a ticket that coincided with the state lottery's local daily number drawing and this 'number' is good for 10 weeks. Well, half way through, his number hit - for $25k ... He asked me if he is obligated to tip the seller of the ticket, and how much. Side note - the ticket cost was $200 ...

I told him that in larger poker tournaments players usually tip 3-5% of their winnings. I didn't know if he would be comfortable with tipping that much to someone who simply sold him the ticket -- what would a decent tip be for him to give the seller ???
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: wasn\'t sure where else to put this strange tipping question ...

Are you [censored] serious?

EDIT: Do you tip drug dealers too?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 AM

You're going to advise your friend to tip a [censored] numbers runner? hahahahaha
Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 AM

He doesn't have to go to the seller to cash it in right? Tip 0$.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Dammit - it is NOT a numbers runner !!!

If ANYONE is familiar with the Philly area and the Mummers Parade, there are organizations/bands/brigades that participate in the parade and they do FUNDRAISERS all year long to raise money for costumes, club expenses, etc!

It's a legitimate fundraiser for the organization - each member of the club gets 10 or so tickets to sell for $200 each. If your number hits on any given night, you would win $200, thus I wouldn't think you'd have to tip. There are 2 nights during the 10 weeks that have large prizes, one is for $25k and the other is $50k. His number happened to hit the $25k night and was ASKING me if he should top his ticket seller -- JEEEEEEEEEEEZ, I would HOPE he doesn't tip his drug dealer too !

Oh, and he will be picking the money up from the PRESIDENT of the organization -- with the seller present, that's what he told me ...

So ??? Any thoughts NOW ???
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If ANYONE is familiar with the Philly area and the Mummers Parade, there are organizations/bands/brigades that participate in the parade and they do FUNDRAISERS all year long to raise money for costumes, club expenses, etc!

It's a legitimate fundraiser for the organization - each member of the club gets 10 or so tickets to sell for $200 each. If your number hits on any given night, you would win $200, thus I wouldn't think you'd have to tip. There are 2 nights during the 10 weeks that have large prizes, one is for $25k and the other is $50k. His number happened to hit the $25k night and was ASKING me if he should top his ticket seller -- JEEEEEEEEEEEZ, I would HOPE he doesn't tip his drug dealer too !

Oh, and he will be picking the money up from the PRESIDENT of the organization -- with the seller present, that's what he told me ...

[/ QUOTE ]

a numbers runner by any other name is still a numbers runner.

If anything I just donate a small small percentage to the charity.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM

No tip to the ticket seller, but many people would give some portion of the prize back to the organization.

That's what usually happens at most 50/50 drawings at my kids' school.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, offer them back a thousand or so, it would look good, if not, it doesn't look bad, I wouldn't tip the seller, but a steak dinner sound reasonable, if you are friends with the seller, if it's just a random you bought it off of, party time.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, offer them back a thousand or so, it would look good, if not, it doesn't look bad, I wouldn't tip the seller, but a steak dinner sound reasonable, if you are friends with the seller, if it's just a random you bought it off of, party time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im only donating it for tax purposes.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree. At first I was going to say tip the seller, but I was thinking more of a "I went into 7-11 and my a winning Lotto ticket" in that incident I would give the seller a tip of $500 on a $25K win.

In this case, I think giving a small portion back to the charity/organization that's holding it. $500-$1K.

T