Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Default what do these terms mean: \"blocking bet\", \"peel the flop\"?

I greatly appreciate the help I've received so far. I'm running out of beginners questions, but I can't seem to find a definition for these terms: "blocking bet", "peel the flop"
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: what do these terms mean: \"blocking bet\", \"peel the flop\"?

Blocking bet - a small bet made OOP, generally on the river that has the objective of setting the total $$ for that street. The reason to use a blocking bet is the fear that your opponent would make a bigger bet that you do not want to call when you suspect you maybe have the best hand but aren't sure.

Peel a card - to call a bet and see the next community card. Generally a comment made when someone is drawing or otherwise behind in a hand.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM

A blocking bet is a bet you'd make when out of position to try to see the next card cheaply. For example, the pot on the turn is $80 then you may put out a blocking bet of $30 hoping your opponent will call that rather than putting in a pot sized bet if you check. You can do it for various reasons, for example if you have a decent but not great hand and you want to get to a showdown or if you are on a draw and want to try to ensure you are priced in to play the hand. In each case you are hoping your opponent calls your blocking bet rather than putting in a larger bet of their own.

Don't know what peel the flop means
Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 PM

great, thanks guys!! BTW love the family guy avatar... "it's peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time..." lol
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Family Guy is the nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I greatly appreciate the help I've received so far. I'm running out of beginners questions, but I can't seem to find a definition for these terms: "blocking bet", "peel the flop"

[/ QUOTE ]

A blocking bet can be useful in a micro game or tournament where everyone wants action.

Sometimes I'm in a game, or early in a tournament, where everyone is just itching to bet or call something. It doesn't matter what. I've been at 9-person tables where 7 or 8 players will call a small bet, most of the table will call a minraise, and about half will call a standard raise.

In that situation, if you have something like 66 or AJs, and you don't want to put too much money into the pot, just limp and you might get 8 happy callers behind you. That couldn't just fold their 97o--they have do something.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 PM

That's not a blocking bet though.