Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Comm 40: Two check-ups

Good game last night, I'm running bad (though I don't think the Villains in either of these hands were aware of it).

Hand #1: Two mid-late position limpers, I call in SB with black 88, BB checks.

Flop: 6h3d2h

I bet, BB raises, first limper calls, I call. BB is an Asian dude who plays the 30/60 stud all the time and has played a lot of hands so far at our table. Limper is bad, sorta passive but sometime spazzes.

Turn: 9c

I bet, BB insta-raises, limper ponders and folds, I?

Hand #2: UTG limps in, a player three spots away raises, I 3-bet in the CO with 9d9c, both call. UTG is passive and bad; the raiser is a strong 2+2'er.

Flop: 6d2c3d

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: Th

I shoot a glance at UTG and he looks like he wants to bet, but checks. 2+2'er checks, I bet, both call.

River: 4h

Checked to me.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Comm 40: Two check-ups

Hand 1: I 3-bet the flop because I have a vulnerable holding which is likely ahead at this point, the hand is 3-way and I want to avoid awkward spots on the turn. If BB caps, I'm likely to shut down and go to showdown or even fold if the big streets turn up a nasty card, heart, 4/5, and maybe even an ace?

The way you played it, the turn either goes b/c/c(bad, because you could've just 3-bet the flop and kept drawing BBs overs/A6/65 or whatever and kept the limper drawing with whatever junk he has, or it goes b/r/c or f which is the nasty spot you're in. It doesn't give you much information and gets you exploited by an aggressive villain who will raise A6/65/64/77/88(some of these perhaps for a free showdown).

As played you need to be good 1/4 times for a calldown to be profitable, without considerations such as the times BB improves and the times hes raising for a free showdown. I have no clue what to do but I would probably fold.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Hand 2: I think it's obvious that you will get no value out of the 2p2er. He's not calling anything you beat as there's no way you're not hearing from 77/88 on the flop. More likely, he has overcards with 1 or 2 diamonds and going to c/f.

That said, I think this is a really thin value bet. If you think your tell is that strong enough that he has a QT/JT/T8/etc a large majority of the time and is c/cing here, follow that and just check behind. That said, I think he's calling a 6 and maybe a 4, 3, 2 here as well, so I fire once more.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Hand #1: I'd only use this stop and go turn bet if I knew what to do when raised. You can prob fold. Just calling down after the flop raise gets you to showdown though.

Another line is 3-bet the flop, and you can prob fold to any further resistance.

Hand #2: Played well up until the river where you usually have a value bet.

It is pretty clear you have the 2+2er beat, however, you need to decide what UTG's 'wanting to bet' the turn means.

If it was genuine, then he prob made a pair of T's and is calling you down = you should check.

If it was one of those fake out almost bets that means 'please give me a free card' then he prob has a weak pair/draw and you can value bet your hand.

The river does fill a straight draw here, so with your description of UTG bet/fold is prob your best river play.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Hand 1 I raise pre-flop. As played I fold the turn.

Hand 2: I think it is time for a thin value bet. If you lose to K10, so be it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Hand #1: 3-bet flop, bet/fold turn.

Hand #2: I'd check river but im a little baby.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Hand 1: Raise that sucker pre-flop, get the big blind out of there with his 9-6 or whatever that you don't know what the hell he has. I suppose there are all sorts of hands we could put him on that we beat or have outs to, but since he's raised twice, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hand 2: I fold this pre-flop against a strong 2+2er because I'm only a medium strong 2+2er. River here, I'd bet; UTG has pocket 7s and will call your obvious unimproved A-K.