Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 AM

Default The future is so pretty

Link to a techy/geeky vid (from a techy/geeky conference). Haven't seen it posted around here so I hope I'm not duplicating anyone else's thread, and I figure there's enough geeky types in here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...

the future's so bright...
(not a rickroll!)

Get's more interesting as it goes along. Thinking about the use of the Photosynth technology and it's integration of the worlds data (not just visual) - it seems like some big SF ideas are being realised (in terms of virtual worlds and how we interface them). The way all data is hyperlinked in this way seems pretty incredible and my imagination runs away trying to visualise it's potential.

It also has implications for Big Brother type encroachments on your 'personal' freedom, with the almost exponential growth of personal recording media devices (especially mobile/cell phones). Given that the average Londoner is captured over 300 (I think it's 300) times a day on surveilance cameras, just think how you could build a video of an average persons day. Imagine the legal (law enforcement) implications - at a public event where something happens and the police are able to create a full 4D (it could, potentially, have a timeline) model of the events based on camcorder/mobile-phone images and other cameras etc. Alternatively, it could be a cool way to make a video of a live event, such as a music gig, using the fans recordings to build a real imersive recording of the experience - potentially a great "gimick" for the first band to try it (if they pre-empted by asking fans to bring their mobiles and record it).
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: The future is so pretty

Very cool. This is going to be extremely popular and widely used. I liked the panoramic view of the Rockies, btw.

Like you said, just a wonderful way to make a video of an event cross referencing other people's personal photos, documenting a place or event in time. I like this idea very much.

lol at how this guy talks so fast. Love his geek speak. Metaverse? Cross modal, cross user social experience [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

It also has implications for Big Brother type encroachments on your 'personal' freedom, with the almost exponential growth of personal recording media devices (especially mobile/cell phones). Given that the average Londoner is captured over 300 (I think it's 300) times a day on surveilance cameras, just think how you could build a video of an average persons day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh hell yeah it has implications. I imagine the government is going to love this type of tool to build visual databases and timelines of people they are interested in keeping an eye on. Yes, definitely will be useful to police and FBI.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM

TED is awesome, you should explore the site, if you haven't already.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 PM

holy crap, that was amazing
Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 PM

They need to give him more time. Why on earth would you rush that? Was there a better talk right after?