Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: 2p2er Viruses me, o noes now what?

You should link to the download you made. Seeing the download would make it pretty easy to see if the virus came from there.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should link to the download you made. Seeing the download would make it pretty easy to see if the virus came from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've linked it to _dave_ (someones opinion when it comes to computers i hold in gold).

two pms i recieved from him

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if i upload a .backup file onto megaupload and then someone dls that file is there any chance the virus + keylogger they got was from downloading that file?

[/ QUOTE ]

Entirely possible, but the virus/keylogger would have to be on your computer, and have found it's way into the .backup file.

I am unfamiliar with .backup files - what creates them / what does it contain a backup of?

If the your computer is clean, I'd be 99.9% certain the virus/keylogger didn't come from your file - it is alays possible, but very very unlikely that megaupload.com has infected the file after uploading.

I'd become instantly paranoid and check your own computer thoroughly... presuming this is the computer you use for poker/neteller etc.

Name of the virus/keylogger may give some clue as to where it came from.

Here's hoping you aren't infected also, and your friend has just been careless using the internet.

Best of luck,

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

and after showing him the link to the file he responded with this.

[ QUOTE ]

a tempting download indeed

I will "risk" the download, check it out see if it is clean.

Now I know what it is (a PSQL format database backup) I can't imagine how one could embed a trojan within...

gonna say probably not from you.

As I type that... OK got the file.

Not so simple as I thought seems PT .backup files are in binary format, rather than plain text. So I can't just check it out without PT to decode it, therefore I can't use my XP VM, since it has no PT.

Despite the incredible unlikelyhood this file contains anything untoward, I ain't gonna run it on my poker PC just yet...

Have to do some research as to how to decode this file, off to the PT forums I think

For future reference, there is a much easier / safer (and probably smaller) way to export PGSQL databases than PT's built in way, using PostgreSQL's own backup utilities. I posted a howto somewhere in the SW forum a while ago.

Will let you know what I find, but it won't be as quick as i first assumed

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Lol, this is the most absurdly transparent, uninspired attempt at a defense ive ever seen. He's so clearly guilty, I can't believe you guys.

I'll have to go back on the other computer to get the link. My only concern is that he may have taken it down or changed it to a virus free file, but we'll see. How will you guys check this anyway? I'm not a computer expert but after 2 years of no viruses, a set of suspicious circumstances, and basically no other way to explain how else these problems arose, this seems extremely obvious.

TheAudition is some high school kid who makes posts asking for stakes in .50-$1 NL. He has no credibility. You really don't think he would do something like this to try to hack someone known to have a lot of money online? SO many people are shady and would do it in a second if they knew how- and there are reports of people getting hacked all the time, I just got lucky not to lose my money.

He didn't post in the thread stating he had a database, he PMed me instead. His whole demeanor made me paranoid after the download. and I even told some friends that I'd made a mistake and was kind of nervous. Lo and behold, I wake up and find tons of spyware and viruses on my computer. Who knows if there was a keylogger or something. This guy didn't even ASK ME for my AIM in the private message. He somehow already knew it and messaged me, like he was just sitting there plotting. I don't buy any of this [censored] for a second, and with the info at hand I would wager 40 to 1 that this guy did it.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy would be way more pissed off if he was innocent, this is the most transparent, uninspired attempt at a defense ive ever seen

I'll have to go back on the other computer to get the link. My only concern is that he may have taken it down or changed it to a virus free file, but we'll see. How will you guys check this anyway? I'm not a computer expert but after 2 years of no viruses, a set of suspicious circumstances, and basically no other way to explain how else these problems arose, this seems extremely obvious.

This guy is some high school kid who makes posts asking for stakes in .50-$1 NL. He has no credibility. You really don't think he would do something like this to try to hack someone known to have a lot of money online? SO many people are shady and would do it in a second if they knew how- and there are reports of people getting hacked all the time, I just got lucky not to lose my money.

He didn't post in the thread stating he had a database, he PMed me instead. Everything he said made me uncomfortable afterwards, and I even told some friends that I'd made a mistake and was paranoid afterwards. The guy didn't even ASK ME for my AIM in the private message. He somehow already knew it and messaged me, like he was just sitting there plotting. I don't buy any of this [censored] for a second, and with the info at hand I would wager 40 to 1 that this guy did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill take this 40:1 bet in a second.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM

do this somewhere else
Closed Thread