Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Default $200NL, confused on the river

SB: $253
BB: $219
Hero/UTG: $221
UTG+1: $236
CO: $276.
Btn: $112. <font color="blue"> this guy is loose and fairly weak, he does a lot of calling, runs at 59/13/1.2 over maybe 500 hands </font>

Dealt to Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero raises to $6, fold, fold, Btn calls, fold, fold. <font color="blue"> pretty much the lowest Axs I raise here, maybe slightly loose, though most of the table was tight </font>

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $12, Btn calls.<font color="blue"> this seems like Btn is weak here, struggling to put him on a hand, a small/mid PP is a possiblity, for whatever reason I feel I'm ahead here</font>

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets $32, Btn calls.

River: (pot $103) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero...?

So now I'm lost. If this short stack (he has ~ $61 left) wants to get allin, there's pretty much no amount I can bet that doesn't impell me to call. Yet c/c and c/f just seem weak. If I check I think I can feel comfortable calling a small size bet, but even if he goes allin he's giving me decent odds to call. A lot of shorties do stupid things in spots like this...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: $200NL, confused on the river

I dont know about his calldown tendencies, but I would never bet the river here and never call a shove.. The only hands you beat here is 65 or two overcards. He could hold JT what gave him a gutshot + 2 overs at the flop and even this card arrived .. so I dont know what he could hold what you beat.. just check and hope that he checks behind.

In general I do not tend to give my money to shorties so easy.. I've often seen shorties that changed their play drastically when their stack got bigger .. I wait for better spots
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM

Just check fold. I promise you aren't good here often, and c/c is by far the worst option. If you bet, you don't get called by any worse hands, and you don't fold out any better hands unless he somehow folds 8x.

Also, I don't like betting the turn.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM

have you seen him bluff the rivers if UI, looks like a draw or a weak hand here, i think i check call to induce a bluff if i feel good with my hand here, i highly doubt betting will make him fold a better hand since he calls so lightly.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM

i am curious to hear others thoughts on this hand, it is so read dependent
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of shorties do stupid things in spots like this...

[/ QUOTE ]

then why would

[ QUOTE ]
cc...just seem weak

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't c/c be like the strongest line since he can't bluff call and we think our hand is best here?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just check fold. I promise you aren't good here often, and c/c is by far the worst option. If you bet, you don't get called by any worse hands, and you don't fold out any better hands unless he somehow folds 8x.

Also, I don't like betting the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

people bluff like a lot tho right?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you seen him bluff the rivers if UI, looks like a draw or a weak hand here, i think i check call to induce a bluff if i feel good with my hand here, i highly doubt betting will make him fold a better hand since he calls so lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My notes on him say he's overly tricky, often fast plays great flopped hands (sets and 2pairs), reraises odd hands pre-flop (he put in a 5x reraise with 89s and called an allin). I have seen him bluff raise a river, but I've also seen him just call pre-flop, flop and turn then allin with an overpair.