Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Investment banking questions

i woudl check out Ibankingoasis as well and the vault forums although the later are "worse" overall.

in my experience, after you have recieved the interview everybody is pretty much in the same boat. the kid with 3.5 from Carnegie Mellon and overachiever with a 3.8 from harvard.
Interview skills are key. The least you can do is learn the company and the industry in and out. Why you? Why IBD or ST? Why this firm? In terms of knowledge of finance, I'd agree wtih Evan. Again from my own experience, they ask what is the relationship btw financial statements/how do you value a company 8/10 times. You can learn all of this if you download the vault guide to financial interviews.

Apart from the tech questions, know yourself, tell a good story that is consistent with your resume, try to be humble but confident. There is really no clear cut cases. I know of somebody that has an impressive knowledge of econ, the markets and math for his age, worked for a year at a trading/HF start up in Europe, is a Varisty athlete, president of ABC, has been day-trading for a while and has amazing stamina (can work for hours). At a networking event in NYC a guy from GS actually told him that he is overqualified. To everybody's surprise, this guy had trouble getting an IBD position this summer but he did get one eventually.

Getting an internship is crucial. If you can't get one in a BB, get one in smaller bank, PB or wealth management, ops at some bank, financial services, small HF...anything. Any internship is better than none. No internships = no interview.

Networking is also key. If you go to an ivy you are all set. If you don't prepare to take out your knee pads. E-mail everybody in the career network (personally i would not attach resumes right away or be direct, initiate contact, get convo going, than go for it), but dont be discouraged when only 1 in 15 replies. Go to every networking even in the area!!! If you are serious about this, it will become more or less like a 6th class. Always follow up, send thank you notes and don't be afraid to call. I remember it took me a few days to master the courage to call, i reserved a room, layed out all this crap on the table and talked for like 2 min. But i think it makes a difference. One MD told that basically he was surprised at how little people call him when it is so easy and much more direct. It will separate you from the rest in their eyes.

oh and dress nicely, spend money if you have to. dont be fat - not many fat junior people in finance.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just said that they don't get interviews, but that interviewing them is frustrating

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm just going to point out that if you change the "but" to "because" this sentence works pretty well.

[ QUOTE ]
My friends going into I-banking next year with a 4.0 are working at Blackstone in Restructuring (2), Morgan Stanley (1), and Lehman Bros in Banking (1).

[/ QUOTE ]
One more thing, can you just clarify that you know 4 graduating seniors from Wharton with 4.0s? I'm going to go ahead and call bs on that.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh and dress nicely, spend money if you have to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that I disagree here, but I think overdoing this point is probably worse than underdoing it. They know you're in college and they don't expect you to dress as well as they do. Wearing certain things that are flashy will draw more negative reactions than positive according to everyone I've talked to. Some examples are: Ferragamo (or similar) shoes, gold cuff links (or any cuff links really, wear silk knots if you insist on wearing a french cuffed shirt but you're probably better off with barrel cuffs), tie clips, pocket squares, etc.

There's a real class distinction between junior and senior people in most banks. Doing things like dressing above your class in a flashy way is pretty universally looked down upon in my experience. Obviously don't go in wearing jeans and a t shirt. Wear a suit and look presentable, just don't try to stand out with your clothes. It will do more harm than good.