Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win more championships?
Lebron 48 54.55%
Wade 37 42.05%
The will win the same # 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Best Mario Kart Game

[ QUOTE ]
you're dead wrong about mario kart ds. the controls are easily the best and the technique used in the videos of DD and 64 is called snaking and became 10 times easier to do in mario kart ds (provided you're using the egg or the tank).

[/ QUOTE ]

Control is probably not the best term. The biggest thing that bothered me about MKDS was the fact that you almost came to a dead stop when you hit a wall. MKDD had frantic almost pinballish styled races. I just found this much more fun, it might just be more of an opinion thing.

As for snaking, I never really played MKDS long enough to get as good as I was at MKDD but from the videos it doesnt seem like you can snake better in MKDS than MKDD. In DD you could snake with virtually no lateral movement, and you can pop off way more speed boosts than you can in MKDS. I think this is partially due to the analog stick vs the d-pad, since a speed boost in DD consists of only moving the stick to the outside and then back to the center. Without having to do the full left->right you can maintain better control of your cart and get more speed boosts.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 AM

no. snaking is a lot easier in MKDS. this is really not debatable.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 AM

apparently no one here is any good at 1v1 original battle mode. If you were you'd consider the 4 player 64 version an abomination
Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently no one here is any good at 1v1 original battle mode. If you were you'd consider the 4 player 64 version an abomination

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved SMK battle mode, couldn't get enough of it, and hated MK64's. There was so much more skill involved, and went at a much faster pace. I must be older than most in this thread who do like MK64, as I consider MK64 to be one of the biggest video game let downs in history.

I also loved 1v1 match race on the first Ghost track (mushroom cup). Nothing like stealing your opponents feather right as they are about to take the shortcut, and laugh your ass off as they fall into the pit. Not too mention the countless other strategies for using/blocking the feather/mushroom use.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Notice at the beginning how 64s loose controls make it difficult to get a speed boost on straight aways. In 64 you are basically confined to boosting only while turning.

Not only is DD a much smoother race, there is more skill involved than any other MK. Of course all you MK DONKs will probably complain about how lucky your opponent gets all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh. lol.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM

i love four player double dash.. two in each kart.. on a good team each player is constantly doing something not really leaving room for boredom, mainly the guy in the back snaking power slide to avoid objects due to bad driving up font, screen watching to hit opponents with items, etc.. the guy up front is constantly getting boxes steering tossing up items.. my roommates and i were all equally matched so multiplayer all track mode racing was a blast we spent endless hours battling each other.. i also liked having either birdo or yoshi so when you are in first place you can shoot eggs forwards and pick up mushrooms and stars in first place.. DD is much more frantic with so much more happening and many more items character car combinations that have not been seen before.. that being said like i have posted prior battle mode blows.. they might as well take it out of the game.. each game has its strenghts but i love the new ideas presented with DD and have spent more hours on this than any other mario kart game..
Old 02-04-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're dead wrong about mario kart ds. the controls are easily the best and the technique used in the videos of DD and 64 is called snaking and became 10 times easier to do in mario kart ds (provided you're using the egg or the tank).

[/ QUOTE ]

Control is probably not the best term. The biggest thing that bothered me about MKDS was the fact that you almost came to a dead stop when you hit a wall. MKDD had frantic almost pinballish styled races. I just found this much more fun, it might just be more of an opinion thing.

As for snaking, I never really played MKDS long enough to get as good as I was at MKDD but from the videos it doesnt seem like you can snake better in MKDS than MKDD. In DD you could snake with virtually no lateral movement, and you can pop off way more speed boosts than you can in MKDS. I think this is partially due to the analog stick vs the d-pad, since a speed boost in DD consists of only moving the stick to the outside and then back to the center. Without having to do the full left->right you can maintain better control of your cart and get more speed boosts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can snake through like the whole course of every course except Rainbow Road in the DS version. I'm sure there are people that can snake Rainbow Road as well, but I suck at it.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can snake through like the whole course of every course except Rainbow Road in the DS version. I'm sure there are people that can snake Rainbow Road as well, but I suck at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate rainbow road with a passion, when people pick that on wifi i hope their mother dies a slow, agonizing death that i could witness while laughing hysterically