Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: 20/180 early AJ resteal

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm making this a little too player specific, but if he just calls my reraise, should I be leading the flop and folding easily to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lead-call or lead-3bet either's really bad or really good. Creating artificial odds though, so I don't know how to explain this one. Sorry.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Im calling the turn bet. 1/5 the pot looks SO weak- but I'm also a sucker for these. He's probably on a middle pair, but got scared by 2 broadways on the flop.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 PM

I'm not sure that I like/understand your pre-flop play here. If you are reraising b/c u think u have the best hand, then why not push over his 4-bet? If he is as bad as u say, he might call with AT or KQ. If you play enough 20/180's then u know that this type of guy is not going to fold to your 3-bet. The 3-bet is bad b/c is only bloats the pot, leaving you OOP w/out a made hand. In a typical 20/180 the only hands that I would 3-bet from the blinds here are QQ-AA. I would probably call w/JJ and TT and push w/AK. The thing about your hand is its not very far ahead of this guy's preflop range (and his range is probably huge.) IMO, calling his 4-bet mini-raise is your worst play here by far. You're OOP w/ a very medicore hand and one more bet/call and you're pot-committed. What do u do when the flop comes K92? Either fold to his 4-bet (bad option), or push after he makes it 500 to go. I would push this preflop everytime, but I wouldn't get into this spot wAJ. The turn is tough getting 6 to 1, with 5-9 outs (probably 5/6) I guess u have to call here since you're 7 to 1 to hit an ace or a queen.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 PM

Please fold to his 4-bet raise preflop. Who cares what your odds are. You're almost always up against QQ+, and maybe AK sometimes. You're going to need a great flop to take the lead in this hand, and it's not gonna come often enough.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many times you resteal because you're out of position--you want to end the hand right there.

Are you saying he should fold to the minraise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying restealing 20 mins into a tournament where you have to risk 30-50% of your stack to do it is not good play in my opinion.

Also, restealing with position (i.e. on the button when CO tries to steal) is a much better idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 PM

I'm saying restealing 20 mins into a tournament where you have to risk 30-50% of your stack to do it is not good play in my opinion.

Also, restealing with position (i.e. on the button when CO tries to steal) is a much better idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with first statement, disagree with second. Why not flat call (this type of player, ie. donk) from the button? it's true that w/ a hand like AJ, u probably want to play it against one opponent, and RR might knock out the blinds, but i still think that it's too weak and hand to put more money in pf, even with position. At 10/20 i think that this is a call pf, and at 25/50 i have no problem folding pf, even if the guy's a pretty big donk.