Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 06:35 AM

Default AK

no reads

Party Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: AK

No straight or flush draw and only ~3 outs for the two overcards =&gt; fold is ok
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 AM

Preflop: yes - the only way to play that.
The crucial decision here is really how to play the flop. You probably have 6 outs and a backdoorflush and we can assume that a limping hand for early is typical a low or middle pair - maybe AJ or KQ which you beat. But people at this level may call with everything so your outs could be counterfeited. So if we make your 6 overcard out to 3 and the backdoorflush count 1,5 we have about 4,5 outs giving you 1:9.22 You can make call. But 4,5 outs also give us an equity around 18% if we are behind. Is that enough to justify a raise? If we can make a player fold a hand which counterfeit ours we should raise, but I just don't think we can do that at this level.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 AM

i like your play fine in this hand, slava. at this level wait for a big pocket pair preflop or a big flop/draw, then go wild. no sense in chasing just a few cards in a smaller pot.

bbb
Old 11-16-2006, 08:22 AM

Just for giggles I would have raised UTG on the flop. I say this because in the last week THREE TIMES I have come up against a player that will either raise me when rags hit and they know I missed, OR, bet into me when they know I messed.

All three times I have won with Ace High.

HOWEVER - I have had some good reads on these players and know they are tricky.

With overcards I need SOMETHING else working for me if I miss. You have a back door flush so the call on the flop is OK.

Then the turn you re still being bet into and the PROBLEM is UTG+1. Why is HE still in the hand. With two players and now only overcards a fold is OK. With only UTG I might call him down.

Wtill - a raise on the flop might do two things. 1. you might get a free card. 2. you might fold the field 3. you might fold UTG+1 there by increasing your odds to win the hand even if you are behind.

IF he comes back at you after you raise, then you can fold and feel good.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:32 AM

I would raise the flop bet, because you have to mix in some raises with AK to offset the insta-raises you make in the same situation with TT-AA.

This might not be the ideal spot, since there is an overcall, but still, when the donk bets a dry flop into presumed overcards, it is ok to put some pressure back on the bettor and overcaller.

Todd
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 AM

I do feel like AK is one of the weakest parts of my game. If will raise and re-raise with it before the flop, But if the flop misses me, I will either bet if it is checked to me or I am the first to act or call if it is bet into me. I will fold it maybe 10% of time depending on who the player who bet into me is. So, in short, I need to start mixing it more raises when certain players make a bet into me.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM

Yeah, just let that hand go on the turn. And when yo do hit, your patience will be rewarded, cuz the other guys, unlike you (hopefully), are willing to call down with just about anything.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Tim, on the flop, all kind of auto-calling with AK is bad, just because you have AK. You could be throwing a lot of money away by doing this. Call if you have the odds. Usually, at the .05/.1 limit, i donīt bet AK unless im pretty sure i have the best hand even though i missed the flop, because a lot of people are willing to call me down.