Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 PM

Default First Borgata Trip Report-Royal Flushes and sick chops (long)

Earlier this year I had planned to move out to DC. The Cubs were in town the weekendof July 21, so I was going to fly out their for a week, interview for jobs than watch some baseball with my sister and friends. Two months ago those plans changed when I recieved a promotion at my current job. I decide to hit AC for a couple days.

Wednesday afternoon I arrive in the gorgeous new room. I'm told their's open seating for 10-20 in the back and the floor manager (Tuan?) gives me a wave. I buy in for a rack of red at the must move table which becomes $800 within a couple hours and I am called to one of the main games.

Both games are playing loose and passive, and my only disapointment is this is not a kill game. At one point I take down 7 straight pots as I hear a couple nits mumble under the breath how I'm going to get caught raising so much. Than they precede to fold the turn shaking their head like they do every hand. In 3 hours at the new table, I get to showdown 2 Royal Flushes, oddly both with only A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in my hand and the other clubs on board. These were my first 2 royal flushes in live poker, each good for a free Borgata WPT hat.

At one point I have ~$1300 in front of me, but things would quickly turn. After running downstairs for a slice of nasty pizza and a strawberry lemonade smoothie from Ben & Jerry's I hurry back to the table just in time to start spewing the ultra clean, but unshuffalable chips. The rest of the night I go on to lose about $500 with AQ alone. My favorite one, I open in MP w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB calls, and check calls every street of 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He shows me two black deuces. Ni Han Sir!!!

I finally get tired of chip spewing and after 10 hours of play, rack up $669 and 2 Borgata hats at about 3 am and head downstairs to check out Fat Burger. The line is too long and slow, so I drive down route 30 untill I settle on the Econo Lodge. I'm not one to complain about a $50 room, but they didn't even have ESPN, what year is it 1987?

I sleep a couple hours than head back to the Borgata. I've still never had a Fat Burger so thought I'd try. After a long wait, get my small greasy burger and oreo shake, definitley did not live up to expectations. The shake was very good however.

I head upstairs and the list for 10-20 is about 8 deep but withing a few minutes they open a new game. This session was very uneventful couple hours. The game was extremly tight. I ask for a table change when the only donkey at the table announces he is just killing time untill the tournament. I find out from the dealer it's a $200 + $30 buy-in, start with $5000 chips and their's 30 minute levels. I'm getting pretty board at this table, so I sign up for the tourney. 2 hours, down $30.

I'm assigned table 7 seat 2 for the tournament. I sit down just before the cards are in the air, and the 1, 5, 6, 7 & 8 seats are empty. I try and steal some early pots while the table is empty and quickly lose a couple hundread. I gain it back in the first level when I flop top pair and get pairdoff by a pocket pair.

By level 2 (50-100) the table is full with many soft spots. I win my first big pot. When PFR gives me a free card to make my straight than calls a big bet on the flop and turn.

I pick up some more pots in levels 2 & 3 and am moved to table 1 seat 1 with ~15K in chips, just before the break well above the average. The 2 seat looks familiar and seams to be a good player but is short stacked. Come to find out later that night he was the guy on the US Poker Championship this year who had a toothpick and kept picking up big hands.

In level 5 (200-400 +50) I make it 1000 to go UTG with Aces. a wild player with a sleevless shirt in the SB calls. Flop comes T T 7, I bet 2500. He agonizes and calls. turn is a blank, I put sleevless Joe all-in for about 5000. He thinks for about 2 minutes and even says "I can't belive this" I have to be best right now, but he calls and shows T9o? Ni han sir. I push a few times each orbit and pick the blinds each time.

A new middle aged player with wrap around oakleys moves to seat 4. Every time it's on him he's staring me down. I make a move on him when he lets me see a free flop in the BB. He stares me down for about the 3rd time and than folds. I ask if 'He always has a hand when I do' and he tells me he likes taking his time and dosen't want to make a mistake.

In level 6, (300-600 +75) seat 4 opens an old guy who plays really bad calls in MP. I look down at 2 9's and about 6K in chips in the BB and push. Seat 4 calls with pocket 4's. I spike a 9 on the turn and almost triple up. I now have some chips, a tight image and begin to control the table and pick up a lot of small pots.

Later in the level sleevless Joe opens for 2500. I've come over the top of him a couple times so I make it 8000 in the SB with Kings. He thinks forever and calls. Flop comes T 9 5, I think it's about 50-50 he flopped a set, but I'm not going to be able to fold. I push for my last 10k and Joe quickly folds. At the break he says he had pocket 8's and should've folded to my raise. The last hand before the break, I open from the button with Q9o. The flop brings 9 9 7 -2 clubs. SB leads out for 2400. I raise 5k more. SB tanks, than folds saying he had clubs. I go to the second break with about 30k and 24 players left, I think I'm the chip leader or very close.

Level 7(400-800 +100) Sleevless Joe opens for 4000, his standard raise was higher than the rest of the table. I raise 10k more on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Joe tanks again and finally pushes for 8k more. I call and it's time to win a race or get short-stacked. Joe shows 2 7's, he was wild and I came over the top of him often, he must've gotten tired of it. I see the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the door and get excited. 2 more hearts follow for a flopped flush and now I am the monster chip leader with ~60k and 20 players left.

My chip stacks dosen't fluctuate much the rest of the way. We're into level 9 (800-1600 +300) and down to 14 players, 9 getting paid. A pushbot disguised as an unattractive blonde haired woman sits down in seat 3. She pushes her avg. sized stack every time she picks up any type of hand and whenever she's in the BB. This is very bad for me as everytime I raise from the SB, she comes over the top, I don't have a big enough hand and she has too many chips for me to call.

We play down to 10 players all of the short stacks at my table are willing to bubble and I can't suckout. I still have about ~60k in Level 10 (1,000-2,000 + 300). I raise almost every hand, either picking up the blinds or having somebody behind me push. All-in PF My 34 < A7, K3< QQ, 78< AT. Finally it's folded to the 10 seat's SB. He's played pretty solid the whole way through and is now short-stacked after his kings ran into aces in a 50k pot. He pushes A7 for about 7k. I call with A4, spike a 4 on the turn and were in the money.

I am second in chips with ~$75 and redraw seat 7 which is the perfect spot. Seat 6 is the type of guy to only raise premium hands the fire 3 shells and has about ~$55k. Seat 5 is an old bad player (he was the cold caller in the 99 vs. 44 hand) who left my table short stacked with about 15 players left and turned into a card rack at the other table and now is the chip leader with over $100k.

Before the final table starts, the short stack is begging for an even 9 way chop, 'we can each have $1500 that's a lot of money' no thanks buddy. He quickly busts out in 9th place for about $300.

I avoid disaster in level 11 (1500-300 +500) when seat 1 who is probably 4th in chips limps, this guy was at the other table all day so I have no idea how he plays, but felt like he had a big hand. I call in the BB with Q8. Flop comes Q 6 6. I bet and he makes a big raise. I fold going with my first instinct that he was limping with Aces or Kings. He shows the Ace of hearts than the 6 of hearts.

The next hand I play about as bad as possible. David (raise and fire 3 barrels) raises to 7k UTG. I think about raising and folding w/ KQs but decide to call not wanting to be re-raised and see what happens on the flop. The flop comes K 6 3. He bets 12k. For some reason I decide he has Jacks or Queens and decide to call and let him bluff the turn. The turn is a blank and he pushes his last 27k. I immediatley say 'I knew you were going to do that. I'm pretty sure I have you beat.' I count out the call, it will leave me about 25k. I say If I play pre-flop & the flop that bad, I deserve to double you up. I see his hand shaking like Muhamad Ali, but still call. He shows AK and I don't get lucky.

As soon as we start Level 12 (2000-4000 +500) Pushbot wants to make a deal. Their are about 365,000 chips in play & the remaining payout is:1-$5548, 2-$2920, 3-$1606, 4-$1168, 5-$1022, 6-$876, 7-$730, 8-$438. Their is a 100k stack, a 90k stack and everybody else has between 20-50k. I am the short stack with 24k and I will be in the BB next hand. I guess everybody is tired of playing because everybody agrees to give $2500 to each of the 2 big stacks and split the rest of the money ($1551 per player) 6 ways. I all of a sudden love the idea of choping and am no longer pissed that I played my KQ like a donkey.

I leave $90 for the dealers and head over to sign back up for $10-20. The list is about 15 players long, but I notice 2-5 NL has open seating so I bring a rack of red to seat 7. The toothpick guy from earlier is in seat 10 with probably $1500. He asks how I finished the tournament, and I tell him and a couple others about the sick deal that the big stacks went for. The second hand I have 88 in the SB. 5 players limp and the button makes in $25, everybody calls. Flop comes Q 8 6-2 hearts. I lead out for $75 toothpick calls, LP & button call as well. Turn is another Queen. I check, toothpick makes bets $375, the button calls and I push for $20 more. Toothpick says I knew you had a boat, I show my hand and he shows QJ, the button shows Aces. I fade all 9 outs and drag a monster pot. I pretty much fold for the next couple hours and leave up $866 in 3 hours.

I plan to start drinking and donk it up at 10-20, but 2 beers later the game breaks with me down $184. I'm second on the list to move to the main game but don't feel like waiting. I don't really want to play 6-12 and am too tired to play 20-40.

The room and staff were excellent. I only remember 2 dealers who weren't very good. The floor was very nice and helpfull. Their is tons of room between tables. You could probably have 10 guys in chairs sweating the action at most tables. The TV's are way too high and unwatchable and the shufflers should be flush with the rest of the table as others have pointed out. My bigges complaint is the chips. Their nice and clean, but with the magnets and plastic coating, the stick together. They're not easy to cut out of your stack, and it's nearly impossible to shuffle stacks larger than 4.

I head back down route 30, stop at McDonalds and thank check into the Farfield Inn. Not only do they have all 4 ESPN's, they also have the Cartoon Network and Futurama is on. Yeah! I sleep a few hours and than head back south to resume my originally scheduled vacation.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Re: First Borgata Trip Report-Royal Flushes and sick chops (long)

All I have to say is I love Futurama too.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 PM

Default Re: First Borgata Trip Report-Royal Flushes and sick chops (long)

Two Club Royals in three hours live. That happens like, never?

Surprised you didn't take a break to put $10,000 on 00.