Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Default 50 NL Top Two- Help me not suck.

So this is a situation that I'm in all the time and I'm always unsure what to do. It's not a really weird spot, just one in which I think I've lost a lot of value over time.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($28.20)
CO ($52.05)
Button ($66.25)
SB ($49)
Hero ($84.80)
UTG ($67.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.75, UTG calls $1.75.

Flop: ($7) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $14.

Turn: ($47) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $62.55 (All-In)</font>, Button folds.

Button is a TAG playing 6 tables. UTG was playing very passive and I wasn't real worried about him. So does anyone 3- bet preflop OOP? how bout fold? Calling against a solid player seems kinda bad imo.

On the flop: I often check raise in these spots, what does everyone think of that? The board is kinda drawy i didn't want to see a turn for too cheap, but it seems like he folds a lot if I lead out.

The turn: The Ace wasn't a great card, but I felt like I couldn't really check if I was up against hands like K10/ flush draws. He had about 44 left when I pushed.

Advice anywhere would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: 50 NL Top Two- Help me not suck.

I hate the turn push, it only gets called by a better hand, but I'm not sure what the right play on that turn is either.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 AM

3bet or fold prelop imo.

flop c/r is OK as long as you know btn is going to bet (cbet%). I think your bet is a little huge. I would probably make it 15-18ish. We do want a call.

As for the turn. I hate it...I have no idea what he folded...no worse hand is goin to call you. I cant understand how he got this far and folds. tbh, I think you have to check this turn.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet or fold prelop imo.

flop c/r is OK as long as you know btn is going to bet (cbet%). I think your bet is a little huge. I would probably make it 15-18ish. We do want a call.

As for the turn. I hate it...I have no idea what he folded...no worse hand is goin to call you. I cant understand how he got this far and folds. tbh, I think you have to check this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought I might have been pushing out all weaker hands. So after checking the turn, I assume you call a bet? And if he checks behind whats your plan on the river if it's a a)blank or b)heart?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 AM

The only thing I can see calling is Ahxh that you have beat now. I check and let them bluff and/or value town me with AK/AQ. If he's got those hands then just a cooler really. You aren't getting away.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 AM

turn is a bad push because hes only calling you with a better hand. I would bet 35ish, BTN could very well have a flush draw so I would rule out checking, but its a very tough turn decision in that you want to protect your hand but you also could be against a better 2PR or straight due to the Ace.

Normally PF, if BTN is a smart TAG, I would 3bet him due to him trying to isolate the UTG player. I normally don't like just calling a raise PF OOP with KQo.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
turn is a bad push because hes only calling you with a better hand. I would bet 35ish, BTN could very well have a flush draw so I would rule out checking, but its a very tough turn decision in that you want to protect your hand but you also could be against a better 2PR or straight due to the Ace.

Normally PF, if BTN is a smart TAG, I would 3bet him due to him trying to isolate the UTG player. I normally don't like just calling a raise PF OOP with KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you PF analysis. However, the button only had about 44 left on the turn, so is betting 35 really much different than pushing?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM

I really prefer leading the flop here, I think it gives you a lot more flexibility in the hand. Turn is a definite check, at this point none of the hands that you hope will call a bet will. Probably c/c turn and bet non heart non T rivers.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you PF analysis. However, the button only had about 44 left on the turn, so is betting 35 really much different than pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I actually just realized that too, was looking at another stack size. Now I would actually just check and let him bet here or to just keep the pot smaller. Its a tough spot because you really don't know where hes at. That call on flop could mean he has K (w/ A,J,T kicker), JT, or flushdraw. I would think however he would've RR you on the flop if he had AK, so I think you're beating his weaker K so I would think if you would want to keep him in with his weaker K, I would check and keep the pot smaller and hope that a blank card comes up.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 AM

I mean if you are going to check this flop you pretty much have to check-raise, this is certainly not the board for a pot-control line against a preflop raiser.