Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Default 1/2 PLO8 Bottom set + 4 to nut low

Okay - this is a general situation I find myself in and never really like how I play it

Sidenote: If anyone knows of a hand converter that works for Full Tilt, PM ME!

Lets say I have A277 single suited in late position

4-5 to the flop and the flop comes K87 rainbow

How do you play this against 85/15 to 50/12 type players when they bet the flop?

How do you play this against 20/4 type players when they bet the flop?

Note: I am showing players VPIP/PFR%s above

Do you try to isolate or try to build a pot up?

Do you mind getting it all in right away (possibly against a bigger set) becuase if that happens you have 4 to nut low as a semi safety net.... (sort of strange semibluff of sorts)
Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: 1/2 PLO8 Bottom set + 4 to nut low

I've been in that situation a few times recently (but I don't feel like searching through my HH's). I usually try to take the lead on the flop just to test the waters. I've run into higher sets a few times, as well as people completing straights/flushes. Meanwhile, you get all the calling stations with naked A2xx's who can't find the fold button coming along on every ride.

Good question though... seems like Phil or Buzz could correctly address the math/probability issues here. In general pushing with bottom set + A2 has to be at worst an EV neutral play.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM

This is a case of maximizing value to me. With postion on a tight and/or usually passive bettor, I call and reevaluate the turn. On some boards against certain players nothing makes sense but a higher set, so you give it respect. On the turn, you'll either catch a low or they'll give away their hand and you can correctly fold (or bet - 1/2 pot if checked to you). Against TAGs who'll bet low draw + top pair or similar, I would also call the flop, but be more inclined to go to war on the turn. This is simply read based, there's no simple answer here.

Against fish on a drawless board, main goal is to build a pot without scaring them off so you can milk them on the turn and river. So I'd usually raise the flop but not a full pot raise. On a board with many draws, I pot raise. They'll usually call. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually try to take the lead on the flop just to test the waters.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this do you mean - if someone else has bet pot in front of you you would repot or re half pot?

I normally struggle with this hand when its already been bet in front of me, if checked to me its an easy pot bet, but rather what to do when there is action in front of me
Old 06-02-2006, 02:04 PM

I think I normally re-raise, but not full pot... If you are re-raised again by a good player, it might be enough information to let you know you're in trouble.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM

My sense is that you don't want a lot of multi-way action with this hand. I'm tihnking like all-in on flop vs. one guy. If you put the bet or the raise out on the flop and it starts getting multiple callers or more raising behind it, I probably let go figuring too likely to end up with at most a low split. But if you get raised/reraised by one guy and can isolate, I take the chance of being against A2 + higher set, b/c it's pretty rare (and only pause to think if it's a rock).

Myabe this is obvious, but it seems like to me the really tough question is when you expect it to be three-way. That's when I probalby try to control the pot on the flop and wait and see what develops.