Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Chip Management

This is probably in the wrong forum.

Being mainly an online player, to me one of the main difficulities in live poker, amongst others, is keeping track of chip counts. I find it hard to estimate the worth of a chip stack by just looking at it without taking a minute or more to count. Thus I often have no idea how many chips are in front of me, my opponents, or in the pot, which results in bad play.

Can you give any tips on that, aside from "play more" or "just ask for a count"? I'm sort of dyslexic when it comes to associating numbers with colors or chip piles. I guess some kind of stacking system for my own chips is advisable, but that's not applicable to randomly placed chips..

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Chip Management

I'm primarily an online player, and honestly, it comes down to concentration. After I fold, I keep paying attention, and I constantly evaluate the relative stacks at the table. I don't have any special tricks for counting the chip stacks. If you can't count your opponents' chips yourself and you are in the hand, you can always ask the dealer for a count.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

First, always know what you have in front of you (within 10% for a quick count at least). Whenever your stack changes (up or down) count it down so you know where you are.

Next you need to have some idea how your stack compares to everyone else. More importantly how your stack measures up to the 2 people before and after you. When you get into a hand with someone and you don't have an idea of their stack, take a moment to eyeball it for a quick count or ask them what they have. There's really only 2 ways to find out..count it yourself or ask the dealer/player.

A note of caution on trusting a players count: If you end up calling a guys all-in bet of $200 (because he says it is) and it turns out he had $300 (because he lied, was hiding chips, or simply miscounted) you are often going to be held to the $300, so be careful.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:47 PM

For my own chips I would stack them in stacks of x# of bb
i.e. $2/$4 with all $1 chips I would make rows of stacks of 4s that way I know that if I have 5 rows with 4 stacks in each I have 5*4 big bets = 20 big bets = $80

There is also a pyramid way to arrange the chips but I cant really explain it...