Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 10:02 AM

Default 10-20 HU river bluff..

ok so.. some history.. we were going back and forth a bit, i was playing pretty laggy, picking dece spots, showing down SOME goofy hands.. i played 3 handed with him for a while, got stuck a bit, then asked if he wanted HU private table.. so at this time we are 2 tabling HU privates..

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($4893.50)
Hero ($4230.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $20.
<font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $224</font>, BB calls $169.

Flop: ($488) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $444</font>, BB calls $444.

Turn: ($1376) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $999</font>, BB calls $999.

River: ($3374) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero calls $2543.50 (All-In)

preflop is standardish for me, he has been raising about 50% of the hands, and this deep with a hand like hte one i have i will reraise almost every time. he hadnt come over the top for 600-800 once the whole time we had been playing, so i felt safe reraising almost any hand pf, especially one where both cards are next to each other. anyways..

flop is standardish cont bet, he calls a decent amount of them, but this is about as good a flop to fire as any after reraising pf, no one should have a problem with that..

as far as the turn.. i felt there was a decent chance he ahd something like 99 or Kdxx or Qdxx type hand, and he might give it up if i fired again.. so.. what the hell i fired again.. i duno could be bad but i didnt mind it at the time..

the offsuit ten on the river seemed like a decent card for me. at this time i thought there was a good chance he had an ace with a random diamond, or Kdxx with maybe a pair to go with it. i figure the way i played it it has to look like i have at LEAST AK, so i figured shoving couldnt be -ev.. thoughts? holla
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: 10-20 HU river bluff..

raptor,

Up to the river is fine (although I might have kept the pot a little bit smaller on the early streets to ensure that I would have at least a pot-sized bet on the river), but I think that the river is played poorly. If the game has been playing as I would presume, your 3-bet range preflop is kinda wide, and a lot of the legit preflop hands are going to slow down on the turn or river due to that board. Therefore, once you get to the river and push, a 3-barrel bluff is a pretty significant piece of your range. I cannot imagine your opponent folding an ace here if he check-called twice with it. If you think that Kdxd or something like TdTx are part of his range, bet just enough to fold those hands out. I think that, if you choose to bet the river, $1600 looks a lot better than a push. Also, it takes advantage of the concept that many players, correctly or not, are more likely to call a big bet in this spot than a smaller "value" bet.

Hope it worked out.

ML4L
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM

thanks for the thoughts ML4L. as far as the turn bet.. i figured it would be a good sized bet on the turn to set up a river shove. i duno the whole hand was just weird, and everything seemed like a decent spot. prolly a bit overagg the entire hand, but.. meh. 1600 does look better than a push, but, if i was going to value bet any hand, i would have shoved against this guy, NEVER betting 1600. but yea i guess i coulda given up the riv.. holla
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 PM

How weak of a hand are you value betting river with? You said you are pushing river (if you were making a value bet) and thus I like pushing as opposed to the half PSB. But are you pushing AK on the river here? AJ? A7?

I think if your value betting range is small on the river, it's a bad push as from his point of view it will often be a 3rd barrel and he's more inclined to call. But if you have been making thin value bets and thus firing often on the river, I think its a good time to fire a 3rd barrel.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 PM

im shoving AQ here on the river i think.. AJ i duno i cry and probably complain then check behind. obv any 2 pair, str, flush, etc. holla
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM

LOLLERSKATES. STANDARD.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM

Empty ur PM raptor.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM

imo any bet other than a shove on the river here is bad w/ any hand unless villains a pretty big donky.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
imo any bet other than a shove on the river here is bad w/ any hand unless villains a pretty big donky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate...?

ML4L
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Empty ur PM raptor.

[/ QUOTE ]

empty. holla