Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real question is, would you guys stake me in a game against 8 Kenny Trans?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Think about it this way... Someone who played 500,000 hands of micro limits online is not necessarily going to be better than someone who has played 100,000 hands of nosebleed limits, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's a bit of self selection there. There are very few people in the world who can play that many hands at nosebleed and not go incredibly broke unless they are winning players However, probably many people could afford to play as small losers at micro over 500,000 hands.

However if you change it to, Player A's entire playing experience is 500,000 hands of microstakes, and Player B's entire playing experience is 1100 hands of nosebleed, my guess would be that the microplayer is likely to be a better player, knowing nothing else about them. If you throw in that the microstakes player is a winner over that stretch, I would feel even more confident in that prediction.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM

I think online players prob. better short handed. Their edge is the biggest if its not super deep imo.

9 handed super deep then I'd side with tran.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats because you are all deluding yourselves. You guys are so pathetic you dont even realize that online poker is NOT poker!
The fact is personalities count a lot. You can be a ruthless bully online but live you are scared of all those guys and you play like a complete nit.
Jman - do I need to say more.

Patrick does not count because he made the TRANSITION from online to live.
People who continously play online and say they are making millions - they are online poker players not real poker players.
The online scene will dry up soon too ..

Good luck believing you are the greatest when NO ONE even knows who you are!

[/ QUOTE ]
I am still reading through the thread so i'm not sure if this guy is being serious yet but... if this isn't leveling, this is one of the dumbest things i've ever read.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 PM

that is stupid im sure internet players can make the big trasition just as the pros made the transition to online, poker is poker doesnt matter live or online
Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM

*unless your playing on absolute
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very clear that online poker players are more skilled for many reasons. I'll try a single, different approach...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Some people believe there is more to live poker than just data analysis and number crunching.

That is where the difference comes in. I still think they are two different games, with different skill sets. Can someone be good at both? I suspect so.

The way I read it though, to be a good live player you need SOME of the skills that make a good online player. To be a good online player, you don't really need the skills that make a good live player.

Personality, physical reads, your own tells, intimidation, role-playing, acting and the rest.. you can be the worst person in the world at those things and it makes zero impact on your online game. You do those things all poorly in a live game and it doesn't matter how many odds you have rattling around in your head, you are likely to struggle.

From what I have seen if you talk to some of the top live players and the top online players they don't play the game the same at all. Some of the top live players could give two flips about the odds of the cards as they are playing the people. This is not possible online, so people are playing the numbers and betting patterns.

I am not going to claim one is better than the other, but they are different games. It would be like saying because someone dominates in NLHE they also will dominate in PLO. It is not a given. They are different games and require different skills. Someone could be very good at both, but being good at one does not guarantee you will be good at another.

I think solely from a social commentary standpoint, someone who has mastered the online game might have trouble with some aspects of the online game because of the lack of socialization required to become a dominate online player. It is not likely a person pre-disposed to this path is the salesman/reader that will make them better at live.

On the other hand, because their regular skill-sets are essentially worthless online, the live player will potentially flounder online as they have to only rely on betting patterns and mathematics to excel. Some of the live players are amazingly deficient in these areas.

So I would say that live players are likely to be better at playing in a live environment against internet bred players, and internet players are likely to be better at playing online against live players. Obviously there are always exceptions to the rule. The gregarious, socialized and perceptive online player will likely do well in the live environment. The technical, disciplined and mathematics based live player will likely do well online. The irony is, those opposing skill sets are probably going to make them less proficient at their chosen environment.

All that aside... to me the best poker player is the one who makes the most money. That is the point afterall. And it doesn't matter if it is against fish/whales/nuns or ducks. Show me the money...

So who is that?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM

I think he was being sarcastic...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM

I kinda hate these threads but how can you keep away?

The one core fact that I think should be kept in mind in the internet v. live players argument is that, at least until recently, the money was WAY better online than live unless you were playing like 4k-8k.

When Rugby was playing mega stakes live not long ago he said in his blog that one reason he disliked live was that he could play for effectively more money in much greater comfort online. And he meant it.

So if online poker is potentially more profitable, the burden is on the live players to explain why they are taking the lower paying route. In the absence of any contrary explanation it seems reasonable to assume that either the live players need softer games, or they're not that serious about money.

That's why it annoys the hell out of me when some live player says some [censored] like "YO MR. ONLINE WHY DON'T YOU COME DOWN TO MY 50/100 GAME AND SHOW ME WHAT'S WHAT" when the online player in question might be used to multitabling 200/400.

It's like one boxer calling another boxer out to play thumb war.

However all that being said, it does seem like online poker is drying up to the point that there is or will be more EV in reasonably high live games than in online games. (Assuming no change on the legal front.)

So it is less and less fair to view live players with the air of skepticism bordering on disdain that many of us used to.

A few years ago if you played live only you pretty much had to be a mediocre player or someone who didn't care about maximizing his EV. In the near future the live players may be the ones booking the biggest yearly wins.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Skalansky is only the messanger cause kenny tran can't read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Haven't you heard? Kenny Tran is a genius!