Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: weird situation. is there any ethics consideration here?

[ QUOTE ]
scroll up

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt see that... WOW what are u thinking mike.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what i did instead was offer him a deal. well, i asked him if he wanted to make a deal. when i asked him that, he realized he was in a pretty sick spot. he offered, "let's chop it." i said, "i can't do that, but i'll let you take back your 1500 raise if you fold and give me the pot."

i did NOT show him my cards as we were discussing this. i was planning not to show my cards even if he did accept my proposal. he thought for a long time, like 5 mins, and actually mucked. even as he folded, he said, "i still don't believe you have a better hand than me," then offered me a black chip ($100) to see. i took the black chip and showed him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM

lolol you are such a donkey.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM

surely anything other than call and shove tunr is crazy.
(other than call and bet small on turn and shove river)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Mike,

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but you went too far.

The following would be exactly enough, even in your generous frame of mind: Just reply, "Wow, you flopped the wheel? I'm sorry, that sucks. I have to shove it in here, cause it's still a competitive game." Then you let him decide.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: Don\'t Call it a comeback... Ive been here for years

There is a point in poker where you have to realize that even the nicest guy in the world sitting next to you is holding the money that you want. If you don't find yourself in this mentality for this particular game, then simply leave the game. I have been online and seen people i knew and didn't want to play because of that reason.

I am pretty friendly at the table, but how ridiculous would this look online? If someone was playing 3 handed, and two players were telling each other their cards in the chat, there would be about 18 threads about collusion.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM

fwiw i think what you did mike was fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM

in retrospect, letting him take back the raise might've been overkill. the right thing to do would've been push and show. but i just reacted instinctively, and i decided to let him make the decision. if, after showing me his cards but without seeing mine, he still wanted to play the hand to completion, then we would've played the hand. however, i wanted to give him an out: if he could figure out for himself what was going on, then he gets his raise back.

keep in mind that i hadn't even acted on his raise yet, and i didn't show my hand. yet i asked him to forfeit the pot. not many ppl are gonna muck the 2nd nuts there, but he did. he was not only smart enough to figure out what was going on, but he apparently was also a good enough judge of character to realize i wasn't trying to shaft him. he declined to play out the hand, he forfeited a pot with over a thousand dollars in it and folded A5 on a 234r flop. kudos to him, i let him pull back his raise and shook his hand.

also, this wasn't about softplaying. i play hard against all the regulars in the bellagio game, and i'd never played with this particular guy before in my life. this was a unique, bizarre situation, one which i didn't want to take advantage of. you can all say i gave up ev or whatever, but who cares, poker's not just about money to me.

also, there's a twist ending to the story, but i won't bother going into detail here, since nothing's been nailed down yet, and i didn't do what i did for any reason other than the fact that i felt it was the proper thing to do. but suffice it to say that good deeds are NOT necessarily always punished.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, this wasn't about softplaying. i play hard against all the regulars in the bellagio game, and i'd never played with this particular guy before in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

So having someone show you one card from his hand when it gets HU, then show you the other one on the flop, then you telling him for all intents and purposes your hand and letting him take back a majority of the money he's already put into the pot isn't softplaying?
Instead of thinking about how nice you are being to the guy who is showing you his cards, why not think about how to be nice to the third guy at the table who is at the disadvantage of playing 1-on-2?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, there's a twist ending to the story, but i won't bother going into detail here, since nothing's been nailed down yet, and i didn't do what i did for any reason other than the fact that i felt it was the proper thing to do. but suffice it to say that good deeds are NOT necessarily always punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, how you gonna tease us like that?

FWIW Mike I probably do the same as you, except perhaps push and show both cards.

nh

WoT