Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Default negreanu\'s column: tells comment?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5270134.html

here's what daniel says at one point:

Yet another tell can be spotted by the way players look at their hole cards. Instead of looking directly at their cards, they'll squeeze them, just looking at the side of the cards. If they see three pips, for example, you'll know they've got a 6, 7 or an 8.

If you notice someone habitually squeezing their cards, try to detect what their hand is by analyzing how much of their hole card is viewed. That may seem a little complicated, but it really does work.... END OF DANNY COMMENT

what does he mean by 3 pips? and how can i tell what "they"
see?..... sorry, i don't have a deck of cards on hand, otherwise, i'd have a look.

i actually like danny's column. somewhat simple but very straight-forward and quite insightful.

thanks in advance for any responses!!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: negreanu\'s column: tells comment?

It sounds like he is saying that if they are sloppy while peeking at their hole cards, you should feel welcome to take a peek.

Up and down the long side of the card, when some one is lifting them, you will be able to count the marks that you see.

A six has three pips on one side, and three pips on the other side.

By the way, this is hardly a "tell."
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM

He's not saying to peek at their cards. What he's saying is that if people are looking their pips, then the amount of card they will need to see to know whether it's an A, paint, or 6, 7, 8 is quite a bit different.

Not sure that I'd be able to pull that off...
Old 11-03-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not saying to peek at their cards. What he's saying is that if people are looking their pips, then the amount of card they will need to see to know whether it's an A, paint, or 6, 7, 8 is quite a bit different.

Not sure that I'd be able to pull that off...

[/ QUOTE ]

i was sloppy on the question and negreanu on the wording. he says you can tell what they see. i'm not so sure about that.

anyhow, thanks for the responses so far.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM

this makes no sense to me
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM

when u squeeze u hold the card horizontally to the table and block out the number/letter in the top corner with ur thumb. the only thing u see as u bend the top (i.e. side) of the card are the pips.

now if u have a ten, u won't have to wait very long to work it out because you'll have 4 big pips staring at u. it could also be a 8/9 so wat ppl do at this point is release the thumb to see whether it is a 8, 9 or T rather than kp squeezing (try squeezing a card horizontally. it doesn't bend very nicely after 1/3 of the way down).

now if u had an ace, deuce or trey and u squeezed, u'd see nothing to begin with. just plain white cardboard. this is the whole reason ppl squeeze. it's just so damn exciting! lolz. so neway now u no u might have an ace and so u squeeze slightly more until u see 3, 2 or 1 symbols in the middle. what negreanu is saying is that if u see them squeeze lots of the card then they got A,2 or 3 whereas if they squeeze a little it's more likely to be T/9/8 etc. that's my interpration at least
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

now if u have a ten, u won't have to wait very long to work it out because you'll have 4 big pips staring at u. it could also be a 8/9 so wat ppl do at this point is release the thumb to see whether it is a 8, 9 or T rather than kp squeezing (try squeezing a card horizontally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good explanation. Just a nit: An eight has just 3 outer pips in most modern decks.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:37 PM

jcl: Thanks for clearing that up. I am imagining that if someone looks at their cards like that, a tell is the least of their weaknesses.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM

WHAT IS A PIP ON A CARD???
Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM

SNOWBALL!!!!!!!

A PIP IS EITHER A HEART, SPADE, DIAMOND, OR CLUB. THAT IS A PI ON A CARD. HOW DO YOU TYPE LIKE THIS WITHOUT GOING NUTS? i KEEP ON MAKING LOWER CASE LETTERS AND MISPELLING FOR SOME REASON!

tYAPING IN ALL CAPS TILST THE LIVEING HIEELLLL OOUT OF ME!