Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Flight Messup. Compensation?

I booked a flight to Nepal 2 months in advance for $1300 through an online broker called flightnetwork.com.

As usual, I lose the paper ticket a week before the trip. So I called up the company, and thai airways who are responsbile for the first 2 flights, I was told it was not a problem whatsoever by both. "Just show up and they will reissue a new ticket for $100". I do this, but they have no itenerary for me. The flightnetwork company forgot to send in my itinerary.

Buying a complete ticket on the spot to Nepal would have cost 3000, so I went halfway to thailand for 970, with the the plan of figuring the rest out from there. Tickets not booked far in advance to nepal are still fairly expensive, and its starting to get cold there. I've lost the good nepal time.

I asked for compensation from the flight broker (flight network) and they offered to refund my ticket minus the reissue fee of $100 (I never had a ticket reissued). I consider proper compensation the price of the ticket, a 1000 bucks for the extra money, stress, and problems this has caused, but I may just be dreaming. I have no experience with anything like this or with airlines/ticket brokers. Any idea what I can reasonably expect and how I should handle this?

I have proof that they never sent in my itinerary and that the screw up was there fault (besides the ticket loss).
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Flight Messup. Compensation?

Let's highlight the relevant parts, shall we?

[ QUOTE ]
I booked a flight to Nepal 2 months in advance for $1300 through an online broker called flightnetwork.com.

As usual, I lose the paper ticket a week before the trip. So I called up the company, and thai airways who are responsbile for the first 2 flights Any idea what I can reasonably expect and how I should handle this?

I have proof that they never sent in my itinerary and that the screw up was there fault (besides the ticket loss).

[/ QUOTE ]

To start, the screw up was your fault. 100% your fault. Not even a little bit somebody else's fault. You lost the ticket, then you checked with the airline for the first two flights (so you didn't check all of your flights).

You have failed travel planning, you are entitled to nothing.

You can "reasonably expect" to spend hours on the phone with people from foreign countries that you will be unable to visit.

It sounds like you are still in Thailand. Try not to lose your return ticket.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM

Losing a ticket in this day and age should not cause any mess up, let alone screw up a hole process.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As usual, I lose the paper ticket a week before the trip. So I called up the company, and thai airways who are responsbile for the first 2 flights, I was told it was not a problem whatsoever by both. "Just show up and they will reissue a new ticket for $100". I do this, but they have no itenerary for me. The flightnetwork company forgot to send in my itinerary.

Buying a complete ticket on the spot to Nepal would have cost 3000, so I went halfway to thailand for 970, with the the plan of figuring the rest out from there. Tickets not booked far in advance to nepal are still fairly expensive, and its starting to get cold there. I've lost the good nepal time.

I asked for compensation from the flight broker (flight network) and they offered to refund my ticket minus the reissue fee of $100 (I never had a ticket reissued). I consider proper compensation the price of the ticket, a 1000 bucks for the extra money, stress, and problems this has caused, but I may just be dreaming. I have no experience with anything like this or with airlines/ticket brokers. Any idea what I can reasonably expect and how I should handle this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You lost your ticket. They offered to reimburse you for the ticket that you lost, less the standard $100 penalty. They've been more than fair with you already.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 AM

His point is they lost the itinerary. He paid a fee to get another ticket and they did not do that transaction properly. Why offer it if you are just going to mess it up?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:27 PM

That depends on who you buy the ticket from and what airline you are going to use. Not everybody in the world has the computer technology that the U S has.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a hole process.

[/ QUOTE ]

slang for thailand trip report?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost the good nepal time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just popping in to say thanks for the new away message.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 PM

I dunno, bitch at them until they've given you all they're willing to give? It isn't like "fairness" is going to have any effect in terms of how you're compensated. Either make a stink about it or don't.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM

i love watching people's court and reading threads in OOT where people think that inconvenience entitles them to some sort of "pain and suffering" or "intentional infliction of emotional distress" or whatever other ways them can come up with saying they should get something for free because they were bothered.

sure, bitch at them all you want, and maybe you'll get something extra. i'm 100% positive you could get them to waive that $100 ticket reissue fee, but if you think you're getting any extra money from them you're crazy. Maybe they'll toss you a $50 coupon for next time if you really pitch a fit, but come on, just deal with.

i like how you're going to nepal which is considered by many to be such a peaceful and spiritual place and you're bitching and moaning the whole way there.