Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Rock Band

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Par,

Amazon Prime FTW! I preordered through there, although I'm concerned they won't be able to fullfil all of them right away.

And man, you are old! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple of problems with Amazon; first, they are NOW listing the special edition (full kit) for $249.99, which is a full $80 higher than anyone else. I swear it was $169.99 when I checked the other day. Even worse-

[ QUOTE ]
Rock Band purchase policy
Rock Band is in very high demand and the initial industry supply will be limited. Amazon.com is accepting pre-orders for this item; however, we will not be able to fulfill all pre-orders immediately when the item is released. We will fulfill orders as inventory becomes available, and we expect that all pre-orders will be fulfilled by mid-December. The estimated delivery date for these pre-orders may not be accurate when the order is placed, but we will fulfill pre-orders as quickly as possible as we receive inventory of this item.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] that noise. I am going to call Fry's the millisecond they open on Tuesday and try to reserve a copy. Barring that, I will order from somewhere OTHER than Amazon and bite the bullet on the overnight shipping charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see Amazon only has 3rd party sellers listed now, hence the prices. I checked my pre-order though, and it says I should get it by the 23rd, for $169.

Might have to see what happens on eBay though at this rate!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really seems like this genre game is damn close to being a game with actual results...

Someone mentioned earlier that if you can beat expert mode on the drums, you should actually be able to play the drums (i assume you'd just have a solid grasp of the fundamentals).

Well... I'm sure if I had a game like this for the piano when I was a kid, I wouldn't have been such a lazy ass about practicing, and wouldn't have sucked so bad. Quite frankly, its a very effective visual way of learning.

Has there been any talk of...say...a way to learn actual instruments with a game like this? It seems just a few steps off of what the game is currently... Would something like that be too educational to be a cool game?

Meh, just hopeful i guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen TV ads for piano-like games for little kids that come with a plastic piano keyboard. No idea if they actually help the kids learn to play the piano properly, though.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 AM

So if i have Guitar Hero II for 360, should i be trading it in towards GHIII or this?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if i have Guitar Hero II for 360, should i be trading it in towards GHIII or this?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm almost regretting buying GH3 in the first place. I may actually go and see what I can get for it at Gamestop or something just for kicks.

I really like what I've seen (and played) of Rock Band. GH3, while awesome, doesn't have NEARLY the depth this game seems to have.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm almost regretting buying GH3 in the first place. I may actually go and see what I can get for it at Gamestop or something just for kicks.

I really like what I've seen (and played) of Rock Band. GH3, while awesome, doesn't have NEARLY the depth this game seems to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider the vocals to be a gimmick. And GH3 already has bass. So the questions to answer when buying Rock Band are simple:

* Do I want to spend $170 on a game when I can get a similar game for $100?

* Do I want to play drums?

If you want to play drums, it's a no-brainer. If you're mainly in it for the guitar, I've seen several preliminary reviews of the Rock Band that complain, not just about the stratocaster, but also the note charts.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Well...can you buy the game with just the drums? Or maybe the drums and mic? Or do you have to get the whole shabang?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 PM

I saw some kids playing this at BB yesterday with their dad on drums. He was woefully inadequate, even on easy. I didn't see that it had a foot pedal though, until I saw an ad for it in the paper today. The drum set up is indeed like a lot of practice pad kits (read: exactly the same as a lot of practice pad kits).

It looked pretty fun. Mostly I just wanted to shove the old guy outta the way and show him how it was done. Not that I've ever played the game, but I've been a drummer for 11 years, and his lack of hand-eye coordination made me want to cry for the future of our species.

However, if you're just wanting this for the guitar, there's probably a better, more 'hero'-ic route you could take that would save you some money.

Incidentally, you could also just take your 200 bones out to a pawn shop or Guitar Center and come home with a REAL guitar, learn some songs, get as many friends as this game requires, and play some ACTUAL shows, which would give you about 1000x the adrenaline you'll ever get from this game. ...Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally, you could also just take your 200 bones out to a pawn shop or Guitar Center and come home with a REAL guitar, learn some songs, get as many friends as this game requires, and play some ACTUAL shows, which would give you about 1000x the adrenaline you'll ever get from this game. ...Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you cant get a high score in real life.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 AM

I'm a lefty. For guitar hero 2 on the 360, the 2nd knob for the strap was located on the back of the neck, allowing lefty's to flip the guitar and still use the strap. In the pics of the fender I have seen, it appears that they made the 2nd knob located on the guitar like the ps2 version had, which makes it impossible to flip the guitar and use the strap.

Are they really [censored] us lefty's on this?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Are they really [censored] us lefty's on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

just watched the video review on ign and it said that the guitar from rock band is crappy compared to the gh guitars, so I guess you would want to use your old guitar anyway.