Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Friend exposes student gov. \"scandal\", gets threatened. His play?

Is student government considered a big deal in many colleges? I always thought it was just a bunch of BS that anal overachievers spend time on so they can boost thier transcripts and feel self-important, but I digress.

Basically student government positions are supposed to be decided by open election, and those elected will have a say in the direction of the curriculum and given university funds to plan events as they see fit. It is also supposed to be a prestigious position that shows drive/leadership/whatever.

My friend finds out that the group overseeing his major has never held elections, basically giving positions away to whoever they are friends with. The essays that candidates are required to submit is generally along the lines of "lol gimmie this f*cking position yo!". He reports this to the Engineering Governing Counsel, of which he is a member. Now here is where it gets interesting.

Shortly after he sends out an email complaining about this, he finds that his university email account is shutdown and that the records of him reporting the incident are deleted. The assistant Dean for his major then calls him to the office, locks the door, and asks him questions along the lines of "do you want to make our major look bad?", "why don't you start thinking about your future here?" and "do you know what I can do to you?" Shortly afterwards he is told that he was pressured out of the Engineering Governing Counsel and resigns.

He feels the situation is ridiculous, but is afraid to press the issue with his university because he doesn't know how far up the corruption goes and fears recording tampering or expulsion.

Has anyone involved with student government here experienced something like this? Should my friend just drop the issue (it's not really an issue of the election anymore as wtf is going with the university) or should he press it with other authorities?

Cliff notes: friend finds out that student government elections are a sham, emails student government authorities. Then finds his university email account tampered with and Dean of his major ambigiously threatens him with expulsion of he continues to bring the issue to light.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Friend exposes student gov. \"scandal\", gets threatened. His play?

I really don't know. I mean, this is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:40 PM

What school is this? Tell him to go to the student newspaper, or the real press if the campus paper isn't independent.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:57 PM

Anonymously provide evidence to the press. Gather a ton of evidence though, pictures, emails, audio, everything. Sounds like fun.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:23 PM

This is hilarious. dethgrind's idea would be fun but risky. I say he takes out some kneecaps.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:24 PM

There is a student government organization overseeing his major? What does that mean? At my college, student government was a pretty big deal to a lot of people, but it only had an power over extracurriculars.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anonymously provide evidence to the press. Gather a ton of evidence though, pictures, emails, audio, everything. Sounds like fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^
Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM

keep us updated
Old 12-24-2006, 04:55 PM

You've got to tell us what school this is. This is absurd.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:21 PM

lol - i dont even know if my school has student gov't. they still have those in college?

go to the student newspaper with evidence or call into your schools radio station or somethin like that and make it public. bring down the man