Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre

[/ QUOTE ]

smb isnt obsolete imo, it is much more fast paced than smb3
Old 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming? I could name dozens of games that had a bigger impact than Ocarina.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that list...probably the first really huge 3D world in videogames. Took one of the most beloved series of all-time perfectly into 3D, (which at the time was a big concern of fans) the Z targeting locking the camera onto enemies so you didn't have to struggle to stay on them. Mario 64 was probably more revolutionary, but OOT took everything it did and innovated to make it a perfect experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing it is a perfect experience, but the only really innovation there is Z targeting...
Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM

The original SMB hold up decently well. Its true that Mario 3 is indisputably superior but SMB to me at least is more challenging and differs enough from 3 to be its own game. Give Nintendo credit. Mario 1>3>World all feel completely different but its just Mario going from point A to point B.

And Ocarina is not obsolete now. Far far from it. The puzzles and dungeons are still spectacular. I still think the Spirit Temple is the most brilliantly designed level in any game ever. The only knock on Ocarina now is the graphics. 3D games from the PSX/N64 era are kind of ugly to look at. I'd rather look at sprites from SNES games because I accept them for what they are. I still think Mario World 2 looks gorgeous.

And as for innovation, it was pretty much the "how to" to all 3D adventure type games alike for years to come. How to make a 3D world, how to design levels, make all these little side quests and mini games, its influence on boss battles is evident. Just Z targeting is kind of a stretch...hell Z targeting alone had a huge influence on other games.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to a large extent, and it's why I put Mario 64 ahead of Ocarina. Mario 64 was an almost 100% new and unique experience that had never been done before - and you can count the 3D platformers that have come close since then on literally one hand.

Ocarina was Link to the Past in 3D.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 AM

I don't think OOT was all that revolutionary but, at least in my opinion, it was almost the perfect game. Every detail seemed to have been thought through. The story was engaging, well-paced and didn't really drag. The gameplay was great with just enough variety to keep it interesting and fresh without deviating from the premise too much and going of on weird tangents. The characters were fun and memorable and the music was ridiculous. In my mind it was pretty much flaw-less and had a ton of replay value, which is impressive for a single-player game of that type.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how is Doom not #3? There are a million FPSes better than Doom, sure, but you seem to have different criteria for what FPS games should be on the list than you do for platformers or RPGs?

Doom's held up great over time. I still play it occasionally.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 AM

wtf is Burnout 3 doing on the list
Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is Burnout 3 doing on the list

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it on other lists too so it probably isn't an off-the-wall choice.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Hopefully the last comment I have to make about FF7, but LOL at having FF2 20 places ahead of FF7. If FF6 (3 for SNES) is not on this list above FF2 it will be a traveshamockery.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to a large extent, and it's why I put Mario 64 ahead of Ocarina. Mario 64 was an almost 100% new and unique experience that had never been done before - and you can count the 3D platformers that have come close since then on literally one hand.

Ocarina was Link to the Past in 3D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't we just call this list the "100 Most Revolutionary" or the "100 most unique" because that seems to be what everyone is talking about here. "Nah man, that game may have been more awesome but it wasn't as revolutionary , man." fwiw, in my mind OOT should clearly be above SMB64, [censored] revolutionary, if it's flat out the better game then how can you justify putting it lower?