Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get to watch a ton of reg. season, but Afino sucking in the postseason is nothing new. Anybody think he gets scratched when Gaustad comes back?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont really agree with this. He kinda sucked pre lockout (or at least was all potential with no results to show for it).

Last years playoffs he had 8 pts in 18 games, obviously nothing great- but 18 games is a relatively small sample size. Also, last year he was def. the type of player who caused other teams problems ( i remember philly in particular).

He has been playing poorly this postseason, but i really think it has to do with him coming back from injury more then anything else.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:01 AM

YES YES YES!!!!!! COWAN SCORES, CANUCKS WIN IN 2OT!!!

I thought the penalties against the Canucks were a little bushleague but the PK came up HUGE tonight. Clearly shows how strong Vancouver can be defensively. Even if this series ends up 4-1 Anahiem, which I highly doubt it will, this clearly shows Anahiem doesn't have a huge advantage. The Nucks D, even when injury depleted, can hang with them.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:05 AM

Afino looked OK tonight... flashes of brilliance like always. BUT HE STILL HOGS THE PUCK LIKE CRAZY. I swear, he'd be very close to the top in points if he passed it more often. He gets into the offensive zone with so much speed and usually both defensemen have to converge on him. He can stickhandle and deke past one, and some times both.... but by the time he does he doesn't have a great shot. He opens up so much ice yet doesn't get it to his teammates enough.

I haven't seen a huge % of Sabres fans, but everytime I have I've noticed that. What do you think GG?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:24 AM

i would say connolly hogs the puck more then afino does. When Afinogenov is playing well, he's the best forward on the sabres because of the space he creates / and that he can cycle all by himself. His biggest shortcoming is obviously his shot, so dmen can back off him a bit, and wait for him to make that pass. I think with his wrist not being 100% he is even less able to take a good shot/ make a strong pass, so he's trying to do a bit too much stickhandling. He made one strong play entering the zone tonight where he got 2-3 rangers to stay up in the zone and helped create a good chance down low. But he's def. been one of the weakest forwards on the sabres.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 AM

heartbreaking loss for us Rangers fans...

Absolutely had to win that game to have any chance in this series. Now I am just hoping they don't get swept.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:06 AM

Max is a giveaway machine in the playoffs and takes WAAAY to long of shifts and thats two things that Ruff is going to be fired up about.

I think its easy for Ruff to bench Max, they can play it off like hes still struggling with his wrist injury, throw Paille in on the 4th line to bang with Mair, move Kotalik back to the first line since hes earned the promotion, and put Stafford back with Vanek and Roy. From the looks of last night they havent lost a beat.

Triumph, he might be signed long term but you do remeber Ruff benching Vanek, their prize first round pick last year dont you? That could have killed his phsyce but Ruff rolled the dice and I think it turned out well. The Sabres organization thinks with results before dollars, and Max just isn't cutting it right now.

Plus, hes one of the most eligible guys to get out of here if the Sabres have hopes of retaining Briere and Drury AND Vanek. Theres always a market for a player like Max and I wouldnt put it past Darcy to move him in order to keep them.

Side note, is there a better trade deadline move than Dainius Zubrus? Hes a monster out there on the ice, especially down low. His puck possession is awesome and he was one of the only players to show up against the Isles last series.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In both games there have been 2 instances of new york having too many men on the ice and it not being called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it was extra galling that it was Avery that had jumped over the boards early to handle the puck before his teammates were off the ice. The guy gets away with murder night in and night out.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 PM

do you really think the sabres will try and sign all 3? Also, afinogenov is a pretty good bargain at 3 mill/per.

Would you rather have zubrus + afinogenov or briere?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you really think the sabres will try and sign all 3? Also, afinogenov is a pretty good bargain at 3 mill/per.

Would you rather have zubrus + afinogenov or briere?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Sabres win the cup I dont think Briere or Drury are back.

Vanek is a RFA but is going to be offered a contract from some team(s) and I dont think the Sabres are going to let him go. The guy is dominant and seems to respond well to Ruff.

I think theyll try to sign all 4, but they'll be lucky to retain Vanek and keep one of the other 3. If I had my choice, I would keep Drury, Vanek and Zubrus, and that would still probably need a salary dump from either Kotalik or Afinogenov.

Briere is going to sign a deal very close to what Datsyuk signed in Detroit if not identical and I dont think Darcy is going to go there given they said they will not spend as close to the cap as this year since they ran into all sorts of cap problems with injuries and call ups.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Local radio reports that Ruff was asked about Max and he said he has not made a decision yet but is willing to do whatever needs to be done for the well being of the team meaning Max might get one more chance but hes done if he doesnt turn it around.

If he does get benched hes gone next year, whether hes a bargin or not.