N. Coffee 25 58.14%
Espresso etc 3 6.98%
Girly Coffee 6 13.95%
Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[quoteI fought with MyTurn for a while that Bears fans really didn't just want a conservative QB that would go out and "not lose" the game. We would take that to win, but really want to have a quality offense. We don't need to be the Colts, but would be fine if we had a middle of the pack offense. Right now the Bears have the best defense in the NFC, the best special teams and the 6th best offense. Do they need to keep Rex from going turnover crazy in the playoffs? Yes. Do they need Rex to win in the playoffs? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is spot on. I said before this week that offense needs to score 20+ points to beat a good team. After yesterday's Tampa game I feel that way even more.

Bears fans (I am a fan) in general need to lose the "great defense, Bears weather, QB who manages the game & doesn't turn it over" mentality. While no turnovers are crucial for Rex, defense alone isn't going to win.

Times have change, this isn't the '85 Bears who are going to shutout the Giants and Vince Ferragamo led Rams on the way to face wild card Pats in the Super Bowl. NFC isn't looking great, but there is likely going to be at least one team (NO, Dallas?) who will be playing well and come to Chicago in the NFC championship game IF Bears go that far.

Bears need points in bunches to win vs. playoff teams. That's why they needed to stick with Rex as he'll give them the best chance to win. Which is scary also.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 AM

Droopy,

it is kinda scary that the playoffs rest on Rex's shoulders...but think about it:

Griese?
Orton?

If either of them start a playoff game, the season is over for the Bears. Rex is the best choice (obviously, I'd love a Manning, McNabb, or Brady, but last time I checked, we don't have any of those guys in stock).
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 PM

All,

At least we won't be playing any great defenses in the playoffs, until we make it to the SB. I believe in Rex Grossman, I guess I am in a minority in that. It's been rough staying on that bandwagon this long, but I think he will come through for the Bears.

Any word on when Vasher will be back? Am I grabbing at straws to think that the dead of Tank's friend might put him on the straight path? Are you guys excited for sweeping the Pack for the 2nd year in a row?

Shajen,

Thank goodness you changed your avatar back. It was confusing the hell out of me.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Bears Fans,

What's the word on their defensive injuries? Kind of annoying to put down $$$ on the Bears winning the Super Bowl and then see half their defense get hurt.

(PS The Jeff Garcia Train is coming. Just you wait [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM

pf,

We will crush JG like a bug. He'll probably have flashbacks from the game last year. Although he is further proof that Detroit eats football player's souls. He's having a good year and I hope they can carry the iggles into the playoffs.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bears Fans,

What's the word on their defensive injuries? Kind of annoying to put down $$$ on the Bears winning the Super Bowl and then see half their defense get hurt.

(PS The Jeff Garcia Train is coming. Just you wait [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Vasher and Todd Johnson could be playig right now if they needed to. There is just no need. Guys like Tillman and Wale who are playing at less than 100% should be good with a bye week. I have not heard Lovie say when he will start resting people. I don't like the idea of Rex being out there with no John Tait. There were too many sacks this week.

The Tank Johnson decision is supposed to come down in the next few hours. I just wonder if seeing your best friend get shot and killed is the wake-up call you need to stop screwing around with guns. The front office is pretty pissed with him for even being out at a club that night, so we will have to see.

Like I said those D tackles looked spent in the fourth quarter. They need more of a rotation.

And Fink I told you in the begining of the year, with Garcia taking the Eagles back to the short passing game I have some concerns about them coming into Chicago. But he may have some Lion flashbacks and fall to pieces.

You are really going to have to sweat the Chargers bet though. Of course you know your very +EV with all of them.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any word on when Vasher will be back? Am I grabbing at straws to think that the dead of Tank's friend might get him inactive for rest of year or cut ? Are you guys excited for sweeping the Pack for the 2nd year in a row?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard about Vasher other than after clinching he may rest his hammy until playoffs. Todd Johnson practiced this past week for first time in a couple weeks.

Bears are going to tread lightly with injuries in remaining weeks. I think they should play their starters through final game to make sure they aren't too rusty for first playoff game after bye. I also don't feel they should play full games, especially v. Pack.

Which leads me to part 2 of your question: sweep of Pack. Things are different now. While for past 10 years beating the Pack was a priority at this point of the season, it's not. I could care less if they win in Week 17. I want the starters to look sharp while they're in and have the team healthy after the game.

I rather like the position of not caring if the Bears beat the Pack. Shows we have eyes on bigger prizes (playoff wins & run to Super Bowl).

This coming from a Bear fan living in Packer country.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the injury update.

The Eagles have really lengthened (for lack of a better word) their passing game in the last couple weeks. In the Tennessee and Indy games, everything was short passes. But lately they've been airing it out downfield and Garcia has also thrown some strikes for 15-20 yard gains over the middle. They still use screens and he checks down to Westbrook/Buck/Tapeh sometimes, but they're throwing a lot less designed short passes to WR than before. Garcia doesn't have McNabb's cannon, but he is accurate even on the run. It will be interesting to see what they do against the Bears if they make it to Chicago, since that type of offense doesn't work as well as short passes.

The other thing they have done to help Garcia is they are using the full Westbrook arsenal. Wheel routes out of the backfield, line up him as WR, double moves, you name it. Earlier in the season, I wanted them to use Westbrook more as a reciever downfield. They may have been saving that stuff for the playoffs, but when McNabb went down they broke it out. They had some awesome formations yesterday: shotgun five wide with Westbrook in the slot, Buck and Westy in the backfield together, shotgun 3WR/2TE, etc.

I don't think the Chargers bets are too +EV for me, but I do have $100 against the Saints. Holla.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have not heard Lovie say when he will start resting people.

[/ QUOTE ]

From chicagobears.com:

Lovie Smith said after Sunday’s win over Tampa Bay that every Bears player who’s healthy and ready to go will play next weekend in Detroit. The coach said that the Bears want to win their final two games and aren’t planning on shutting down their team. He also pointed out that they have a few things to correct heading into the playoffs. With that being said, I’m sure the team will be smart and not play anyone who has even a minor injury that could be aggravated in the final two games. Remember, the ultimate goal is winning the Super Bowl and the Bears coaching staff has to make every decision with that objective in mind.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 AM

Tank out for 1 game

Hefty suspension by the bears....NOT. Oh well I want him on the team and making plays.