Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Default timing tell question

just a quick one.

if we check a river with the intention of calling any bet from villain cos we is tarping him (lolz), should we tank it just so it looks like we made a crying call and happened to be right.

in these spots i usually instacall as if to say 'hahahahaa, i was trapping, i own your soul' but thinking about it more he would start bluffing less because he know's we are being tricky trappy.

if we tank it he might think, if i bet a bit bigger it might work, or it nearly worked last time, maybe it will work this time.

or is the point of trapping the river like this to make him aware that we are capable of it, so that we can get more free showdowns when we are out of position?

note: i don't mean c/c the river with really good hands, i just mean MP, TPNK, A hi maybe.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: timing tell question

It doesn't matter imo. You'll be checking the turn with the intention of folding often enough for that to be a reason for him to bluff. It will be pretty hard to hide from villain that you're capable of checking marginal hands on the turn which you call the river with anyway.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 AM

i mean OOP though. checking the river, with the intention of calling a bet
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM

check quick before he has the time to realise you're always calling a bet from him.

seriously.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean OOP though. checking the river, with the intention of calling a bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah ok. Same applies though, you're probably check/folding enough anyways.

Whether or not you want him to think you're able to bluffcatch with weak hands depends on your game plan and villain's tendencies. For example, if you think villain bluffs too much on the river and you're willing to call him down light, you don't want him to stop bluffing so taking some time before you call might not be a bad idea.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check quick before he has the time to realise you're always calling a bet from him.

seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

the timing tell i was thinking about was the quick call on the river rather than the quick check on the river
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

the timing tell i was thinking about was the quick call on the river rather than the quick check on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, who knows. Not sure it matters much because every hand is different and that exact situation is unlikely to arise very often, and blufftards can't help themselves in any case. I have other tables to play, so if I know I'm gonna call I just do it. If I have to think about it, then I think about it.

Edit: I had a nice one on the flop today, though. My Ace hit, so I "thought" for two seconds, then put out a weak-looking cbet. Spewtard shoved his TT for 30BB, instacall, profit.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if we tank it he might think, if i bet a bit bigger it might work, or it nearly worked last time, maybe it will work this time.

or is the point of trapping the river like this to make him aware that we are capable of it, so that we can get more free showdowns when we are out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

good analysis, I doubt there will be many people who come up with an even better one.

When someone snap calls me there I usually insta-mark them as somewhat decent. Now whether it is a good to be seen as decent by another decent player idk. There are some decent regulars I avoid and some I love tangling with.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just a quick one.

if we check a river with the intention of calling any bet from villain cos we is tarping him (lolz), should we tank it just so it looks like we made a crying call and happened to be right.

in these spots i usually instacall as if to say 'hahahahaa, i was trapping, i own your soul' but thinking about it more he would start bluffing less because he know's we are being tricky trappy.

note: i don't mean c/c the river with really good hands, i just mean MP, TPNK, A hi maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is solid. The idea of doing what will win more money in future/manipulate our opponents thinking appropriately versus making us look smart is pertinent to many different plays in poker.