Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Default good hot salsa

I am sitting here eating chips and salsa and am not impressed with this Thick and Chunky "Hot" salsa. Its really not hot at all. Anyone know some good hot salsa that is actually hot? Also, I really dont like my salsa really chunky, I prefer it to have a lot of liquid. Recommendations?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: good hot salsa

It's not particularly hot (then again, ridiculously spicy things don't bother me at all), but Arriba makes a good "hot" green salsa that I love. It's basically the only salsa that I'll eat.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM

If there's a Chipotle near you, both their red and green tomatillo salsas are pretty good and fit your requirements well. Storebought bottled salsa almost universally sucks imo.

<font color="white"> OMG CHIPOTLE SUCKS, SANCHITO'S TACQUERIA AT THE CORNER OF 35TH AND WILSON IN LITTLE TIJUANA IS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!1111 </font>
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM

I feel as if I should get KKF to write this for me, but American "salsa" sucks. Salsa isn't supposed to have huge chunks of tomatoes and onions and be sweet. It's supposed to be runny and spicy to the point of burning your tongue off. When I want some real salsa, I go to a local mexican restaurant (owned/operated by 1st generation immigrants) and they'll sell me a decent size jar of the good stuff for a great price. Find a place who's salsa you like and see if they'll sell you it.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM

kkcountry's advice is pretty good too
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM

How about something like Dave's Insanity Salsa. There's also one called Screaming Sphincter, I imagine with a name like that it's pretty hot.

I've been making my own once in a while and the results have been awesome. It's not hard at all. And you can craft it to your liking.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sitting here eating chips and salsa and am not impressed with this Thick and Chunky "Hot" salsa. Its really not hot at all. Anyone know some good hot salsa that is actually hot? Also, I really dont like my salsa really chunky, I prefer it to have a lot of liquid. Recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frontera Grill

The Chipotle is the only jar salsa I'll eat, and the Habanero is very hot. It's not thick and filled with cheap vegetables, it's runny and tastes great. The stuff is the stuff.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM

I got this salsa from a company called Dos Chihuahas at a Marshall's near me. I think it was Mango Habanero and it was delicious and very, very spicy. I would definitely recommend it. I had to drink like 4 glasses of water whenever I had a bowl of the stuff. It's also pretty liquidy, so I think it meets all your criteria (if you can find it).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel as if I should get KKF to write this for me, but American "salsa" sucks. Salsa isn't supposed to have huge chunks of tomatoes and onions and be sweet. It's supposed to be runny and spicy to the point of burning your tongue off. When I want some real salsa, I go to a local mexican restaurant (owned/operated by 1st generation immigrants) and they'll sell me a decent size jar of the good stuff for a great price. Find a place who's salsa you like and see if they'll sell you it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really true, salsa just means sauce, there are many variations of it. The saucy and less chunky ones usualyl served at mexican restaurants for free (roja, I think) is just one type, something like pico de gallo is considered a salsa too. I do agree though, go with fresh stuff from a local place, or make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_%28sauce%29

list of types, I personally like a good pico de gallo with lots of cilantro and onions.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 PM

Make it yourself.