7 9 6.47%
8 5 3.60%
9 1 0.72%
10 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: A few \'scientific\' polls to compare OOT to the rest of the US

[ QUOTE ]
The general US has 6% athiest and 16% agnostic. It seems OOT is 54% and 28%. OOT is truly a different breed than the rest of the US. OOT numbers are very close to those in Sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in hearing where did you get these numbers? What's your source?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most people can believe whatever the [censored] they want. Popular opinion does not make something true. ID is an alternative to evolution as a matter of fact no matter what you, 51%, or 99% of the world think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of.

It really boils down to one of two realities:

1: Man got here by a nigh-infinite number of amazing rolls of the dice. Where did the building blocks for life as we know it come from? We don't know... all these elements were "just there." We are accountable only to ourselves and by definition, make our own rules. Obviously, this is a very appealing option to many.

2: God (Aliens, whatever) put us here. This "Intelligent Designer" created the universe and all that is in it. Under this scenario, we are patrons of this world and as such are accountable to the rules of whoever made it. This scares the [censored] out of a lot of people because someday, they might have to explain themselves to someone.

Now you might say to me: "No, we don't believe God made the world because that's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. There is no proof for "God"."

I will say to you that Cosmic/Chemical/Macro Evolution is no different. It cannot be tested or demonstrated. Anyone who claims to have evidence of evolution will most assuredly be referring to Micro Evolution, which many (most?) Creationists fully agree with.

I don't sit here and pretend to have undeniable proof for all of my creationist views. But don't sit there and tell me that you have a single iota of proof for the Theory of Evolution (The Tree of Life) as it is widely spread on the backs of taxpayers today. It's a government subsidized religion. Admit it and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Natural Selection is a fine concept. It's certainly true.

But Natural Selection... well it SELECTS, it does not create.

Natural Selection is quality control, it is not research & development.

Natural Selection, as mbillie said, does not prove evolution. In fact, the actual process of natural selection should be separated completely from the theory of evolution.

DNA is an amazing molecule, but it has limits. It cannot create a monkey out of blueprints for a turtle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not trying to do so. Indeed there is no "tryer." And it doesn't do so overnight. Your statements don't make a lot of sense.

Evolution is indeed all about research and development. Different gene combinations are tried out, and things develop from the successes and failures alike. This is exactly what evolution does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we already know from your post in "What do you do to piss people off?" that you're just confrontational. But if you're going to sit there and tell me that Macro Evolution happened and just required lots of TIME. Then I say to you: Show me even a SINGLE transitional fossil and I'll shut up.

This has to be a fossil that hasn't already been proven (or admitted) to be a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many transitional fossils and your argument that there are none, is old and discredited.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that we have an awful lot of athiests around here.
Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The general US has 6% athiest and 16% agnostic. It seems OOT is 54% and 28%. OOT is truly a different breed than the rest of the US. OOT numbers are very close to those in Sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's only because a lot of the agnostics around here identify as atheists, while most national polls on the subject are going to post the concepts without using the leading words. You'll notice that on the poll I did, agnostic came out ahead.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you might say to me: "No, we don't believe God made the world because that's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. There is no proof for "God"."

I will say to you that Cosmic/Chemical/Macro Evolution is no different. It cannot be tested or demonstrated. Anyone who claims to have evidence of evolution will most assuredly be referring to Micro Evolution, which many (most?) Creationists fully agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good amount of evidence for evolution. On the other hand, there's about as much evidence for the big bang as there is for God, yet people supoprted that theory very heavily. (strangely enough in nearly the same proportion as those that support global warming)
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, Im fine with that, but YOU MENTION INTELLIGENT DESIGN IN THE ANSWER and go on to say that evolution stops at ID, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT BELIEVE THIS, I dont know how to make this much clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people can believe whatever the [censored] they want. Popular opinion does not make something true. ID is an alternative to evolution as a matter of fact no matter what you, 51%, or 99% of the world think.

[/ QUOTE ]

ID and evolution are not mutually exclusive. Most Christians believe in both.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good amount of evidence for evolution. On the other hand, there's about as much evidence for the big bang as there is for God, yet people supoprted that theory very heavily. (strangely enough in nearly the same proportion as those that support global warming)

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been discovered that the universe is constantly expanding, which strongly supports the big bang theory. There's no such evidence for god.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been discovered that the universe is constantly expanding, which strongly supports the big bang theory. There's no such evidence for god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good, but you did know that the Georges Lemaître who first purposed the big bang theory was a catholic priest and professor of physics and astronomy. The big bang/expanding universe theory fit in quite nicely with his religious views of a Genesis like moment of creation. His initial work was actually criticized because some felt that its' implications imported religious concepts into physics.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Natural Selection is a fine concept. It's certainly true.

But Natural Selection... well it SELECTS, it does not create.

Natural Selection is quality control, it is not research & development.

Natural Selection, as mbillie said, does not prove evolution. In fact, the actual process of natural selection should be separated completely from the theory of evolution.

DNA is an amazing molecule, but it has limits. It cannot create a monkey out of blueprints for a turtle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not trying to do so. Indeed there is no "tryer." And it doesn't do so overnight. Your statements don't make a lot of sense.

Evolution is indeed all about research and development. Different gene combinations are tried out, and things develop from the successes and failures alike. This is exactly what evolution does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we already know from your post in "What do you do to piss people off?" that you're just confrontational. But if you're going to sit there and tell me that Macro Evolution happened and just required lots of TIME. Then I say to you: Show me even a SINGLE transitional fossil and I'll shut up.

This has to be a fossil that hasn't already been proven (or admitted) to be a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many transitional fossils and your argument that there are none, is old and discredited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah? Well watermelons are actually blue on the inside until you pierce the skin.

PROOF MAN. You cannot just say "you're wrong, there are lots of transitional fossils." and move on. You need to either back up your claim with PROOF or take a hike.

I know there were a lot of so-called transitional fossils. To the best of my knowledge, every single one of them were proven to be either falsified or just mistakenly identified as something they were not.

Link me to just one. Just ONE transitional fossil and I'll gladly shut up.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a government subsidized religion. Admit it and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, It's a falsifiable theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is being taught as fact in public schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with plenty of other falsifiable theories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Example?

I am not anti-evolution in schools for the sake of being anti-evolution in schools. I have a problem with them deeming creationism unfit for public schools because it is religious, when in fact the Theory of Evolution is no less based on faith than creationism.

We are NOT talking about Micro Evolution here folks. That happens. I acknowledge that. We're talking about text books using micro evolutional examples to try and pass off their macro evolution agenda.