Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Cash or Trournaments

Hey guys, im new to the forum and am very impressed by the material around, i cant believe i havnt lookd into this site more in the year that i have playd online poker..
I am fairly solid cash game player who has built up from scratch... literally and now have a very nice roll for NL400 and moving up to NL 600 soon

Recently however i decided i would like to play some MTTs aswell incase i cash a big win, which would set me on my way to the higher limits that much quicker.. and bought into UB sunday garunteed tournament, after busting out in first 5 hands (due to sheer donk play) i realised that there mite be more then i thought to MTTs. (*warning..bad beat story comming up)
however the following 2 sundays have left me with a bad taste as last week got AK busted to 4 outer on river (AKs v 98os on 5 10 J K baord all in on turn..yup river gave im a strght) and todays saw me go out with qq v 1010 an he hits quads, bad beat stories i know but sometimes its better to let it all out.

So i was wondering, instead of jumping stright in with the tournament pros and high skill player at those stakes where would be the best place to start to build a nice tournament bankroll/experiance? and what kinda stakes should i start on. i do not wanna waste time ont he $2/$5 buyins as the reward is not big enough for the hours of play i will be puttin in. also how many "buy-ins" are needed to cover variance?

And what type of game do you guys think has more reward? tournaments or cash? i know there is a higher variance in tournaments but thats about all i know.. hence i come here seeking help..