Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Dumb car situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, you can fix it yourself with google and a part from the junkyard

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the only correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. so, you are saying that the shop has no obligation here whatsoever?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Your move depends somewhat on whether or not this was an independent repair facility or a 'jiffy lube' type facility.

If this was an auto repair shop the owner will generally make the mechanic who broke your vehicle pay for the part (my father is a mechanic and has had to pay for totally unavoidable/unforseeable damage to a customer's car that occured in the process of moving a disabled vehicle from one area of the shop to another). Go up the chain of command asking each successive person "Who broke the hood prop? Did I break it?" until you get to someone who can roll this [censored] downhill on someone else. Obviously if a mechanic broke the rod he has a great incentive to simply tell you that you are responsible ($175 is about a third to a half a weeks pay for an auto mechanic in many places).

I'd suggest you keep the fact that you have had 5 oil changes out of the discussion with anyone but the owner. The mechanics and shop foreman could give a [censored] if they never change your oil again.

If this was a 'jiffy lube' then you should similarly go up the chain of command. However, I doubt a corporation can or would take the money out an employees paycheck for damaging a vehicle. You might have to go pretty high to get authorization.

You are DEFINITELY not responsible for this repair.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's kind of a borderline case. If they forced it when it was jammed, or did something else stupid, they definitely should fix it, OTOH, if it was warn out and they just happened to be the ones operating it when it broke, its kind of questionable whether they should pay for it. The trouble is, only the person who broke it knows which it is, and he's likely to lie if he did something foolish.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's kind of a borderline case. If they forced it when it was jammed, or did something else stupid, they definitely should fix it, OTOH, if it was warn out and they just happened to be the ones operating it when it broke, its kind of questionable whether they should pay for it. The trouble is, only the person who broke it knows which it is, and he's likely to lie if he did something foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but I believe it's already been stated that they said they were to blame.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 PM

This is actually kind of a close call.

As cars age, plastic parts naturally become brittle and weak. Anyone who's ever done work on a car knows that you're guaranteed to break some small brackets/plastic parts etc. Sometimes you just can't help it.

HOWEVER, this is the hood latch, which is usually quite a solid piece. I'd probably offer to pay 1/2 the cost of the part, and get all of the labor for free.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is actually kind of a close call.

As cars age, plastic parts naturally become brittle and weak. Anyone who's ever done work on a car knows that you're guaranteed to break some small brackets/plastic parts etc. Sometimes you just can't help it.

HOWEVER, this is the hood latch, which is usually quite a solid piece. I'd probably offer to pay 1/2 the cost of the part, and get all of the labor for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

after doing some research, i get the impression that putting in a new one of these things is a pretty big chore. i suspect that if it was a $30 part that would require 15 minutes of labor, i wouldn't be in this spot.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's Plan B. Plan A is to tell the shop that broke it that you will pay for the part, but that it is their obligation to install it. If the cost of a new part is too high to suit OP, then OP should inform the shop that he'll find one at a junkyard and bring it in for the installation.

So, I guess that would actually make the quote above Plan C [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 AM

The key here is what kind of work they usually do for you. As mentioned before, if they lose your $30 per job business, they'll live with it if t means not paying $175 to fix your car.

I WATCHED a moron at a Jiffy-Lube type place break my hood release, and they wouldn't pay for it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:48 AM

Start taking the bus? Seriously though I would throw a big stink about this. My guess is they won't care and you'll have to eat it, but I would definately get my moneys worth making them feel like [censored]/make it clear I will never be back and will tell friends etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the shop should replace the part for you free of charge.

I've never done anything with a car's hood latch so I don't know how much trouble it would be.

I once had repairs done to my car's passenger side door and window. When I picked up my car the power window didn't work. They said they would take care of it. I hounded them for 6 months and they never did jack [censored] (this is quite a long tale, I won't get into it).

They were recommended by my insurance company (which paid for the repair), and I complained to them about it. The mechanics still gave me the run-around. I wasn't going to go through the expense of litigating over a window motor, so eventually my dad and I just repaired it ourselves.

I would definitely call and complain and tell them they should fix it for free etc. But if they screw you over you probably don't have much you can do other than complain to the Better Business Bureau.

edit: I also no longer use that insurance.