Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Default 2more ppl out then I am in the money. right play with AKo here?

2ppl left till bubble bursts. I have more than avg chip stack. just got moved to this table so zero reads.

I want to accumulate chips because I wanna get deep into the tourn and I am not much concerned about making the money. what worries me, however, is that the big stack 3bet UTG raise. He is likely to be very strong but I have AK! lol.

In all seriousness, what would be the play with the most EV in the long run in this spot. If I push and get called, I am likely to be flipping, sometimes chopping, and sometimes crushed. Is this a bad spot to get into just b4 the money? even though I stated that I am not much concerned about making the money, the fact that we are almost in the money greatly affects our calculation of EV right? Also, do we have ANY fold equity in this spot? My push would look extremely strong. would good pairs like 88-TT fold if you were the big stack?

Poker Stars, $50 + $5 NL Hold'em Tournament, 500/1,000 Blinds, 9 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: 41,464
Hero (SB): 23,828
BB: 12,422
UTG: 15,862
UTG+1: 7,076
UTG+2: 33,195
MP1: 71,169
MP2: 8,527
CO: 7,993

Pre-Flop: (2,400) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to 3,000</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises to 9,000</font>, 3 folds, <font color="red">Hero???
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 2more ppl out then I am in the money. right play with AKo here?

Raise and reraise...ugh. You would probably at least be on the dumb end of a coin flip. I hate this spot but probably push and pray.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM

These stacks are way too shallow to not be getting it in with AK here. UTG's range = 1010+; AJ+. He could fold to a 3-bet from a bigger stack. MP2's range is admittedly smaller: JJ+; AK. With the 3K already in + your stack + the pot, you need to get it in, gamble. If you win, you are well on your way to the FT.

Barry
Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM

hero pushes and is happy
Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

I had this same scenario pop up a few days ago. MP1 had AA but UTG sucked us both out with TT when he hit a set. I was still happy with my push.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM

no i don't think that you have any FE here, he will be getting 2:1 on your push without having to sacfrice his table bigstack status. I don't think he's folding 88-TT here for the above reasons.

Readless this is very difficult as to his range, he may just be abusing the weakness of utg and the bubble, knowing he'll fold to any reraise. Obviously this puts you well ahead of the reraisers range, though we just don't know.

I don't know the EV calculations concerning the ITM here but I think i'd pray he knew how to abuse a bubble and shove, looking to double and a half. Sorry that's not that helpful but in answer to your earlier question definately no FE.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 PM

u have 0 fe . already a ton in there boy its close. if this is not a "shot" where you are moving up and playing a little over where you belong then this is a shove to me. ive got a great chance to tripple up and get to at least 60k
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM

I insta shoved. there was so much money in the pot already and I am prob not in a bad shape if called. UTG tanked and folded and the big stack called with JJ. I lost the race.

I didn't think much about my push but a friend of mine who was sweating me at the time berated me for pushing AK in that spot. He argued that, EV wise, the guaranteed $ I will get once in the money was worth so much more than the possibility to get deep into the tourn. I guess I will show him this thread and tell him to shove it.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

I think that range is way too tight for MP2. You see AJ, AQ, smaller pairs here too. UTG only has 15k. Either way, its a push.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM

You're friend is a vagine.

Tell him that if you aren't getting it in with AK in spots like this, then you will be forever sitting indian position near the money bubble with your nuts hanging in the wind while others advance to where the real money is - the FT. You don't enter into tournaments to guarantee a marginal return on your investment. You enter in so you can achieve a massive win so that when you lose the next 15 or 20, you have profit left over.

Barry