Default Re: Ask WhoIam anything about living in Vientiane, Laos

[ QUOTE ]
Pics of
[ QUOTE ]
Hot falang-loving women

[/ QUOTE ]

plzktx

[/ QUOTE ]
SE Asian women don't photograph well (i.e. they're much hotter in person) but I'll try and track some down. I've seen a number of formal portraits where the girls are wearing a silk skirt and silk top that leaves their shoulders and stomach exposed. I think this is the hottest thing ever. I tried doing a google image search but I'm not sure what it's called or what to search for.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Random Lao hotties:

Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cons
Limited freedoms and rights...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this plz?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cons
Limited freedoms and rights...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this plz?

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no freedom of speech, a one-party system, corruption, etc. They're very laid-back about it, though, and you can generally do what you want other than demand your right to do what you want. If they wanted to, the cops could arrest you for some BS reason to extort money from you and it's not like there's an ACLU you can call. The only English-language newspaper is owned by the government and is frequently hilarious. Rice farming looks awesome! The Bangkok Post is available so it's not like North Korea or anything. Web censorship is about the same as Thailand. I tried to find some quotes from organizations like Freedom House, but the sites were all blocked. I don't know what it's like outside of Vientiane other than Luang Prabang has a midnight curfew.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sexing Laotians is illegal (though rarely enforced)

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone sways me to thailand haha.

seriously though, has it ever been a problem? kind of negates the whole "falang loving women" thing.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 PM

A pinhole in the rainsuit could be lethal?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sexing Laotians is illegal (though rarely enforced)

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone sways me to thailand haha.

seriously though, has it ever been a problem? kind of negates the whole "falang loving women" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I understand, this mainly happens in two situations. The first is if you're living with your Lao gf/bf/fiance in a more rural area and local officials find out about it, they may view it as a chance to make some easy money. In the second case, if you're dating a girl from a poor family, you're expected to help them out financially. This is just their culture, it's not a "let's extract money from wealthy foreigners" scheme. It would be the same if they were dating a well-off Lao guy. If you don't do this, the family might decide to make trouble for you by alerting local authorities.

If this were common, there would be all kinds of warnings and stories about this at the many Thai expat sites. At the very worst, you have to pay a $500 fine. Plus it makes sex more exciting.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM

Ugh, every internet cafe is crammed with backpackers using all the bandwidth and it's impossible to play poker. Seriously, why are all these people coming to SE Asia and just sitting in front of a computer all day?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, every internet cafe is crammed with backpackers using all the bandwidth and it's impossible to play poker. Seriously, why are all these people coming to SE Asia and just sitting in front of a computer all day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each time I see a backpacker with his huge backpack in an internet cafe i feel like picking up a fight.
I can't stand those morons.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Ofdabeat, u have a real hate for these backpackers huh?

Anyway, Not sure if ur a pot smoking, but whats the deal with marijuana there? Is it too sketchy to even try and look for it?

I live in China, and have no problems at all. Usually around the nice hotels there are always Nigerians selling bud and hash, but that is too sketchy for me. I have a local Chinese friend which always comes through for me but lately have been getting this very crumbly hash.

Anyways here, even though the reputation of "China and drugs will get you killed", there are many bars where all you smell is the beautiful smell of hash and bud. Seems completely ignored and okay to smoke pot in many of the bars. How is it where u r?