Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Where can I learn more about Xs and Os? (NFL)

I never really got into watching football as a kid and never played played the game outside of gym class. When I went to Pitt I got sucked into the football hysteria that permeates Pittsburgh. I realized how complex the game was and started passively absorbing information on its strategy and tactics from the in-game analysts and eventually lurking on a message board where most of the posters know a LOT about football. I have an above-average understanding of the game, but I'm still not sure what people mean when they refer to certain exotic packages or what the standard strategy is certain situations. Can anyone recommend a resource, either in print or on the web where I can learn more about this stuff?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Where can I learn more about Xs and Os? (NFL)

I highly recommend "Edge NFL Matchup" which airs at odd times on espn during the season. They have coaches tape and coaches actually watch the show. Almost everything else on tv is crap, so you have to look to other avenues to learn.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend "Edge NFL Matchup" which airs at odd times on espn during the season. They have coaches tape and coaches actually watch the show. Almost everything else on tv is crap, so you have to look to other avenues to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope this is still on next year - didn't Jaws get a better job for next season (isn't he replacing Thiesmann?)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM

If you're ok with spending 30$, there are some GREAT books. I dunno where you live, but in Canada our chapters stores have them. You can actually just go read them in the store with a coffee. The scary thing is you think the game is complex now, when you read a few pages, it'll scare you just how chess like it is. And the fact that tight ends and linebackers are becoming as mobile as receivers/corners from 30 years ago is really scary. The game still has so much potential evolution given the physical potential these players now have.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 AM

This Wikipedia article describes things like the differences between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, Tampa 2, Nickel and Dime packages, West Coast Offense, etc.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 AM

I'm surprised no one said footballousiders.com yet
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're ok with spending 30$, there are some GREAT books. I dunno where you live, but in Canada our chapters stores have them. You can actually just go read them in the store with a coffee. The scary thing is you think the game is complex now, when you read a few pages, it'll scare you just how chess like it is. And the fact that tight ends and linebackers are becoming as mobile as receivers/corners from 30 years ago is really scary. The game still has so much potential evolution given the physical potential these players now have.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

Your post basically explained the concept of a bookstore.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking my word on book availability isn't good enough ?

I found the "football for dummies" was actually decent. There's also about half a dozen books in my bookstore that are as specialized as just being about defense, or just being about offense. Hence why going to the bookstore and just pulling a bunch of the shelf will give OP a chance to learn as much or as little as he wants...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl i was thinking the same thing
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 AM

lol how is suggesting that someone take the time to go to their local bookstore wrong ? A lot of people may not actually know that these stores carry said books. it's usually the first place I'd go.