Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Default KG

I really have no idea where he's going at this point, so lets have some people who think they know throw out some absurd percentages.

Chances he is a twolve in 2007-08?
Chances he is a sun?
Chances he is a laker?
Chances he is a warrior?
Chances he is a bull?
Chances he is with someone else? (specify)

READY SET GO
Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: KG

From my understanding after reading about a thousand Star Tribune articles from people who, at least theoretically, have a lot of access and inside information in the Twolves front office, the chances of him being a Tpup in 07-08 is pretty much 0%.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM

[censored] the Twolves front office

I think he's going to go to a contending team for league-minimum(or close to it) once he gets out of MN
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 PM

chances he is a Celtic? 3%

If that were to happen, even though it means shipping my favorite player of the last 3 years, chances of me moving back to Boston? 100%

I'm pretty sure he gets shipped, though.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think he's going to go to a contending team for league-minimum(or close to it) once he gets out of MN

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance KG takes a discount to go to a contender at this point in his career. He is going to be looking for 1 more max contract, in 6 years he will be in a position to take the minimum to make a run at a ring.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:08 PM

So im bumping my own crappy thread with a dumb question. Say KG says he only wants to go to the suns and says he will not resign anywhere else, making no other team want him. Shouldnt the twolves move him to the Suns for rights to the hawks pick + marion + another, because they wouldnt get anything otherwise? What am I missing here, unless they just keep him around to sell tickets for one more year.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance KG takes a discount to go to a contender at this point in his career. He is going to be looking for 1 more max contract, in 6 years he will be in a position to take the minimum to make a run at a ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to take the minimum from the Suns, Spurs, Utah, Lakers, or maybe Portland/Seattle. What you don't understand is that the utility earning another $60M after tax isn't that meaningful when your career after tax earnings easily double that.

Being worth $120M + having a championship ring >>>> being worth $180M with no ring. Esp. when the cash difference is even less, because being a core player on a championship means tens of millions in additional career endorsement earnings. And let's face it, in 6 years he's not going to be a top player anymore and won't be able to contribute much to a championship. He might not even be able to get on to a championship level team taking the veterans minimum at that point.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 PM

I'd be willing to take a prop bet that KG doesn't take the veteran's minimum next season from any team. A big one. 1K.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to take the minimum from the Suns, Spurs, Utah, Lakers, or maybe Portland/Seattle. What you don't understand is that the utility earning another $60M after tax isn't that meaningful when your career after tax earnings easily double that.

Being worth $120M + having a championship ring >>>> being worth $180M with no ring. Esp. when the cash difference is even less, because being a core player on a championship means tens of millions in additional career endorsement earnings. And let's face it, in 6 years he's not going to be a top player anymore and won't be able to contribute much to a championship. He might not even be able to get on to a championship level team taking the veterans minimum at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all that was true, you'd see guys taking massive discounts all the time. But, you almost never do. $60 million is still $60 million, no matter how much you have in the bank.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Anyone who thinks KG will opt out of a $24M salary in 08/09 in order to sign for the vet minimum somewhere else is nuts.

As a straight FA, the most he can get is the current max (the contract he's playing under is from a different CBA), which is about half of what he'd make under his current contract.

KG's not getting traded this summer - the natural trade partners have made moves making it impossible to make a deal, apart from perhaps Golden State. My best guess is that another 30-50 year will inspire KG to push for a move after this coming year when he'll threaten to opt out (or actually do it) in order to force a sign-and-trade to another team who'll pay him a similarly gaudy amount (say a 3-year, $60M deal or something along those lines).