Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Please Review my T10,000 blind structure

My group's next game will be a championship style event freezeout. We usually do rebuy tournaments so what we're going for is something slow and playable. We'd like it to be about 7.5 hours (not including breaks) or so w/ a dinner break of 60 minutes after round 6.

I predict our numbers will be a bit down because of the increased buy in, so around 10 or so players, but I could be surprised either way. The first two rounds are really low just to add some easy play and value for the fishies. Would this play well w/ 10+ players and end around the 3k/6k level or a bit sooner based on that?

The round times are lengthened as the blinds increase as shown. I think this allows folks who get short early more time to recover and still be there for the dinner break.

We also want skill to have the best chance and the longer late levels should help that.

If we for some reason only get 8 players or less, I'm considering altering the schedule to play even slower because the total amount of chips in play may be less and it would end too soon based on that.

Comments appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Please Review my T10,000 blind structure

It's pretty good. I'd change the 500-1000 to 600-1200. Other than that, I'd play.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 PM

I think it would be appropriate to ask what your chip set is comprised of - re, how many of each chip do you have, and how good your players are at managing large pots and multiple chips. (Seriously, it's a factor.)
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My group's next game will be a championship style event freezeout. We usually do rebuy tournaments so what we're going for is something slow and playable. We'd like it to be about 7.5 hours (not including breaks) or so w/ a dinner break of 60 minutes after round 6.

I predict our numbers will be a bit down because of the increased buy in, so around 10 or so players, but I could be surprised either way. The first two rounds are really low just to add some easy play and value for the fishies. Would this play well w/ 10+ players and end around the 3k/6k level or a bit sooner based on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

3/6k is about where I'd expect it to end with 10 players, depending on how agressive the short stacks become, but that only put you at ~8 hours WITH the breaks... so, closer to 7 hours worth of play. If you add 4+ players, you will probably extend play a bit.

I think after the second break is where a lot of action will be going on, so you'll have to see how it plays out.

The 5/7/8/10/1500 sequence is a bit lurchy, but you should have some short stacks in there and it gives them a chance. A smoother progression would be 5/7/9/12/15, maybe?

The lower levels are slow, without crawling upward. You'll have to see when people start really dropping out.. hard to get a good read with only 10 players.

Good luck with it. Let us know what worked and what didn't
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the in depth analysis Larry. 3k/6k is when I predicted it would end too.

Some important notes about my players and what we hope to achieve from this game.

Our priorities for the game:
1. Long championship style match
2. Value for the fish (reason for long levels at the beginnings. I've actually reversed the round times a made a lot of changes since this morning, but that's at work. I'll post tomorrow.)
3. Large BBs start for some deepstack play before things really get cooking after dinner.
4. Slow enough blind and long enough rounds to allow some early missteps, but still have some time to contend.

The players:
More passive than aggressive
Most don't think past level 2.

It's harder to pinpoint the group now though from what it was a year ago. We've added a lot of players to the call list. Most of the new players are the more aggressive type though they show up less.

Can you remind me what the 5/7/8/10/1500 is? I remember reading something on that stuff at one point, but couldn't piece it together from memory. Was it the number of smallest chips used for blinds or something like that?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 PM

Drop the 800/1600 and go straight from 700 to 1000.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be appropriate to ask what your chip set is comprised of - re, how many of each chip do you have, and how good your players are at managing large pots and multiple chips. (Seriously, it's a factor.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip set is 1000 Nexgen River Boat Tour chips: 400 green, 300 black, 200 purple, 100 yellow.

So plenty of chips and even another set of 500 to get into for larger tourneys. My folks have been dealing well w/ four chip colors and actually a fifth from the other set.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you remind me what the 5/7/8/10/1500 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me being too lazy to type 500/700/800/1000/1500 small blind levels- sorry. I thought

500/1k
700/1400
900/1800
1200/2400
1500/3000

would be smoother, unless you don't have the chips.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're talking about limits on chips available, so can you clarify why you think big pots of chips affect the play in a tourney so much? It sounds like the pink game logic...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM

hmm, I think I tried something like this once. It can get really annoying when people are passive. IE most people have the same amount of chips and the blinds are high - people will hardly play as a raise costs 30% of their stack or so. I'd consider lengthening some earlier rounds and shorting the later rounds a bit. (Unless you have some real 'rain-delays' in the game who take forever to act)

Currently, you'll be lucky to get more than an orbit in the each of the first 3 levels. If you want deep stack play, these rounds need to be lengthened. just my 2 cents. Also later rounds will play faster (many more hands) due to fewer players (both in the hands and calling raises/limping)