Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Ed Miller/Gary Carson debate

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt this will go anywhere, but what exactly is the debate supposed to be over? Personal issues? (Who said what about who?) Professional? (Who gets credit for what concepts that went into a book?) Technical? (Who is right and who is wrong about the FTOP?)

Even if a debate took place, live radio doesn't seem like a good venue. It would be better to allow more time for thoughtful replies. But even then, a debate would likely resolve nothing because the issues are so emotionally charged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post raises some good and valid issues, and even though there will be no debate, I do want to respond to the points you raised.

If a debate was to happen and I was to act as moderator, I'd set the guidelines only after consulting with the two principals; I wouldn't seek to impose my own rules on them. Since I have not had this discussion with either Mr. Miller or Mr. Carson, I can't describe either the content or format of a debate that will never take place.

But from a philosophical perspective, if two people are going to debate, I believe they need substantial input into the structure and format.

My only requirement would be that personal issues be kept out of it.

While radio does not allow for lengthy, thoughtful responses, I don't know a format other than print -- and that's not really a "debate" -- that provides an opportunity to cogitate before responding.

The fact that there are emotionally charged issues doesn't stop political debates from being interesting, and shouln't preclude a high level of interest here.

Having said all that, it's clear that Ed does not want to debate, and that's OK. I'm not sure Gary Carson is interested in debating either. In fact I have not discussed the issue with him at all.

So it's not going to happen, but I did want to thank you for the issues you raised, and wanted to take the time to respond to them.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to offend you, Ed, and I'm sorry if I did. All I intended was provide a neutral forum for what would have been an informational exchange and learning opportunity for anyone interested in observing. And that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lou,

No worries. I wasn't offended at all. Just wanted to make my intentions clear.

Ed
Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So it's not going to happen, but I did want to thank you for the issues you raised, and wanted to take the time to respond to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for doing so.

In a way, the "debate" will go on, just as it has for a long time, even if the participants aren't all willing.

This issue aside, if you had Ed on as a guest, that would be one show I would certainly listen to.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:06 PM

I think the word "debate" is the problem. Just invite them both on the same day, and go "oops" when they both show up.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:52 AM

Marrying a radical feminist, and appearing in public alongside 5 superficial, trendy, trivial conformists would make anyone want to jump off a bridge. Ed will recover but only time can heal debacles like that.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Being in a profession where your goal is to hunt down idiots and people with a self-destructive addiction in order to take all their money is not really conducive to a healthy psyche.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM

For the record, Ed is not suicidal.

He's just learning the sad fact that the more success you gain, the more envious your enemies become. 'Mo money, mo problems' sort of thing...
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lately I've been bummed about poker in general,

I'm not saying I'm an angel or anything... particularly a couple of years ago (and still to some extent now), I used to flame and disrespect with the best of them. Well, with the mediocre of them at least. That sucks.

It's late and I'm tired, and I'm sure this will look sappy in the morning. But I think there's way too much hate in poker these days. I think that sucks. I hope people agree with me and try to make poker a little more positive in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did those freaks on QEFTSG do to our poor little Ed? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] He's been gelded!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lately I've been bummed about poker in general,

I'm not saying I'm an angel or anything... particularly a couple of years ago (and still to some extent now), I used to flame and disrespect with the best of them. Well, with the mediocre of them at least. That sucks.

It's late and I'm tired, and I'm sure this will look sappy in the morning. But I think there's way too much hate in poker these days. I think that sucks. I hope people agree with me and try to make poker a little more positive in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did those freaks on QEFTSG do to our poor little Ed? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] He's been gelded!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, since his 5 o'clock shadow still shows up around 2:30 and I continue in hope of eventual grandchildren.

BTW I must not have been paying attention when consideration, courtesy, and respect became undesirable and unmanly qualities....
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I must not have been paying attention when consideration, courtesy, and respect became undesirable and unmanly qualities....

[/ QUOTE ]

On 2+2, this occured sometime before 03/22/05. They may eventually come back into fashion, but I wouldn't hold my breath.