Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Default good books on PLO?

i am a NLHE player who has dabbled a bit in PLO on smaller stakes - winning a small ammount, but not having read anything really on the games, just using my HE knowledge and knowing what i have picked up from various people along the way.

I was wondering if you more experienced players could recommend a book or two on PLO? I have read a lot on NLHE but havent noticed any PLO books among the vast array of HE literature available.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: good books on PLO?

i am in a similiar situation. started PLO a couple weeks back.

i read "Omaha Poker" by Bob ciaffone(sp?). its a got a section specifically about PLO.

Don't laugh but Phil Hellmuth's book "Play Poker Like the Pros" also has a section about PLO
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM

http://www.looneytunescds.com/rel/v2...6&affnr=-2
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Search the threads. This question comes up once a month. Slotboom, Ciaffone, Reuben have plo books. A few months ago there were threads that crittiqued the ciaffone/reuben books. Slotboom's book has been somewhat controversial become some posters believe that the shortstack "ratholers" are applying his concepts. There was a recent thread that gave an intro for NLHE players trying to understand PLO. You should look at that and play.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Truth is there is no money to be made from writing a good PLO book, they just don't sell.
So the really good information just doesn't come out, it's better to keep it to yourself and take monies off people.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Truth is there is no money to be made from writing a good PLO book, they just don't sell.
So the really good information just doesn't come out, it's better to keep it to yourself and take monies off people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wrote a really good omaha book, i am sure it would sell quite well.(in fact i would be interested in the sales figures of the current Omaha books, and other poker books in general to see if there is any truth in saying there is no market for a good omaha book).

I would imagine there is a market for both a really good newbie book and an advanced book....

i think the reason that there arent more books on PLO is to do with the fact it is a harder game than holdem to learn and achieve a reasonable standard (and probably therefore write about)...rather than any lack of demand

Also, by writing one or two good books on omaha, it might raise the standard of play in some cases, but it would probably lead to more players of lower standards entering the games, making them more profitable (or at the very least keeping them reasonably profitable).
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wrote a really good omaha book, i am sure it would sell quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't. From what Lou Krieger told me a couple years back, all his holdem books outsold his omaha book dramatically, despite the market being saturated with holdem books. Your selling to the punters, not the pros when you write a book, as they are the people who will be buying it.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't. From what Lou Krieger told me a couple years back, all his holdem books outsold his omaha book dramatically, despite the market being saturated with holdem books. Your selling to the punters, not the pros when you write a book, as they are the people who will be buying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolf's book is currently #26 in Amazon's most-popular poker books list, and Bob C's is #30. I didn't see any others in the top 100, but I only skimmed. Generally I think Ribbo is right. I've contemplated writing a book before, but I don't think it could be profitable enough to be worth my time and effort, especially given the potential to impact the games I play.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the key word was 'good'. I havent seen Krieger's omaha book recommended anywhere, i dont think i have even seen or heard of it. Again, it would be interesting to compare Kriegers sales with the market in general. If most authors target the weaker players, that might mean the one or two books aiming at the intermediate and above may be just as profitable as there is less competition for sales! And sometimes, writers have other motives for writing the book other than for the money.

secondly, how many years ago was that? I would guess there are more people interested in playing Omaha now, than there were a few years ago....I think as the NL holdem players mature in experience, some of them will branch out into other poker games (especially for online games where the big pots help clear bonuses faster, or boost rakeback!)....and for some players PLO is the second game of choice for example it is easier on some websites to get PLO games than 7cs, and in the UK i think it is the third most common ring game (after NL and PL hold em) live.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the key word was 'good'. I havent seen Krieger's omaha book recommended anywhere, i dont think i have even seen or heard of it. Again, it would be interesting to compare Kriegers sales with the market in general. If most authors target the weaker players, that might mean the one or two books aiming at the intermediate and above may be just as profitable as there is less competition for sales! And sometimes, writers have other motives for writing the book other than for the money.

secondly, how many years ago was that? I would guess there are more people interested in playing Omaha now, than there were a few years ago....I think as the NL holdem players mature in experience, some of them will branch out into other poker games (especially for online games where the big pots help clear bonuses faster, or boost rakeback!)....and for some players PLO is the second game of choice for example it is easier on some websites to get PLO games than 7cs, and in the UK i think it is the third most common ring game (after NL and PL hold em) live.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 30 months ago.
I don't think times have changed at all. Holdem is where all the TV coverage is and that's where the money is for literature.