Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

Wish you the best luck. I think you got to find your own path. Personaly, I just turned pro 2weeks ago and my sleeping schedule is different every days but I can handle it with ease.

As for the financial question, Id sugest you investing your 'sleeping roll'. Theres some 3.5% bank with 100% return.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

ThePLux, what do you mean exactly by sleeping roll and 100% return? You mean ING where they give 4% on savings and you have access to your cash without fees?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

beat up midstakes for the last few years while blowing a lot of money and going to school....

moved to cali a couple months ago...now play 50 hours a week 2-4 to 10-20 heads up, 6 max, full ring online and 10-20, and hopefully some 20-40 nl at commerce...........going to grind for next few years insane hours.... i too moved to a town where i know no one plan on investing everything after my roll hits 400k

best of luck man
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

thx for the reply mattaasen
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

I keep a some what normal sleep cycle: bed at 1-3 up at 9-2 (depending on classes). I played poker full time about a year ago but found out it wasn't for me and I needed to go back to school. Now that I am back in school I play about 50k hands a month.

I play 1/2 - 3/6 6max and 2-9 table with an hourly rate of about 80/hr. (not near my db but that sounds about right)

I just buy things when I want them. I usually cash out about 2k per month for a down payments on real estate and about 1k per month for stock market. Other then that I just run up credit card bills (mostly drinking tabs and food) and pay that off at the end of the month.

The reason I got back into school because it messed with my social life too much and I didn't want that to happen. I am only 21 and was starting to become a loner.

My advice:
Keep social event planned and go out with friends a lot .
and try and keep a good sleep cycle because if you don't, you will find yourself get sick a lot easier.

P.S. WM PLAYGROUND was awesome. I saw it here in MN. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Cheers
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM

thx for your input cheers
Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM

semi pro here with full time 50-60 hour week day job.
play around 35k hands a month 12 tabling.
hourly rate of around 300-400hr.
sleep schedule is fairly normal
social life is non existant but i am typically antisocial and a loner anyways. (i generally dont like people)
i dont pay myself with poker winnings, every dollar is invested for retirement.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Good thread!

I play poker only in spare time. I work 40 h a week. I have 6 years at university and have a very attractive job that is ok but not exciting.

I try to play 15000 hands a month mostly 4 tabling. I have slowly moved up levels since I started playing cash games 1 year ago and am now beating 400NL for 4-5 PTbb which means about 150 dollars an hour and about 5000 dollars a month on AVERAGE. I have had only 1 break even month ever.

My social life pretty much the same as before but I miss some more spare time. I work out less and dont watch TV anymore. Girlfriend complains a little but it works out ok. Ive got ZERO new friends by playing poker.

I cash out a little now and then which I spend on holidays, buying a new computer etc. Mostly building my bankroll.

My goal is to consistently beat 1000NL. I dont have any desire to be a high stakes player now but who knows...

I make more by playing poker 10 hours a weak than my fulltime job, which doesnt bother me since I really want something else to do also. I never talk about poker to people at work or with my family, its kind of tabu. I have a few friends that play, but noone professionaly.

Im pretty sure I would have quit job if I was uneducated and the job really bored me. I WILL HOWEVER strongly recommend not doing it before you beat 1000 NL over a big sample and you have a really big bankroll. By having a job and steady income its so much easier to handle the swings.