Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 PM

Default On being self-centered

A lot of people say that being self-centered is a bad thing.

Why?

In some sense each individual is alone. Only he makes choices and only he is responsible for them. Does it follow that his fundamental - and only necessary - concern is how those choices effect him? If not, why should he worry about how those choices effect others in a way that is not rooted in his own happiness?

Why should anyone consider anything but their own well-being?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: On being self-centered

Most self centered people are completely unaware of the game theory or any type of power negotiating. So being self centered is good, but when we refer to self centered people as an insult, we usually mean ones that are stupid.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:33 AM

I try not to be self-centered but I don't think I ever really pull it off. Remember when I made you that halloween avatar? I was trying to make you happy. But was I also trying to gain respect and attention? Was I getting enjoyment from giving it to you? It can be argued that any action has self-centered motivation behind it. I would like to think I was not doing it for any of these reasons, but it does not really matter. I was happy and there was a chance it made you a little happier.

So my point is if we are only doing things to make ourselves happy why not pick stuff that has a chance to help others at the same time? You still end up at happy and in my opinion it is easier.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 AM

Arturius,
In my experience the people that have a problem with self-centered people don't like them because they think that self-centeredness is a character flaw, not because they think the self-centered person is stupid. And why try to make someone feel bad for doing something you think is stupid? Seems like a pretty meaningless behavior.

[ QUOTE ]
if we are only doing things to make ourselves happy why not pick stuff that has a chance to help others at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say there are happiness points. More points, more happy. HP includes everything (convenience, effort, etc.) and rates overall perceived resulting happiness at the time of the choice.

choice A - brings me 10HP and doesn't affect you
choice B - brings me 10HP and you 5HP
choice C - brings me 12HP and doesn't affect you

A vs. B: seems obvious that B is better than A. But maybe its not. Maybe I should be indifferent, assuming choice A does not affect you at all.

And what about B vs. C? Less total happiness points in C, but more for me. I think many would maintain that I should choose C, but why?

And to add to my original post, if one is only concerned with their own HP, then why shouldn't they do something that raises their HP but lowers others? Is there a cutoff where this is acceptable? To clarify the last point:

A: i) me +1,000,000 you -1

Is A acceptable? If so, at what negative HP for "you" is it unacceptable?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 AM

The problem with all that is that there aren't happiness points, and you can't mathematicize happiness.

I think it's intuitively obvious (to me, anyway) that being happy requires some kind of balance between helping out others (especially people you care about) and making sure you get what you want out of life.

I guess you could argue that when I help others, I only do so for selfish reasons (i.e., it makes me happy to help), but I think that point of view is really solipsistic and wrong.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 AM

I duno jay I'm probably not bright enough to explain it to you with numbers, if I am even right! But think about it this way. Can you see why I might find this acceptable?

Jay +1,000,000 Stu -1

Cuz it is impossible. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If I know my action made you that happy I can't be unhappy. I don't know at what numbers it becomes possible but unfortunately there is one. Take the energy required to prove any theory on this stuff and just use it to help someone. I will be amazed if you are not happy after. No need to know why.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 AM

Why should anyone consider anything but their own well-being?

--

these types of people generally have no friends
Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 AM

While we are are selfish in nature there's a large difference between being selfish and self centered.

To understand why it's wrong take it to its extreme.

If my happiness is my only concern then why not kill you and your family for what I could gain?

If my happiness is my only concern then why not hurt and disappoint you in any given situation because, after all, I'm only concerned with myself.

I may be able to be perfectly happy if I did away with Bill Gates and stole his wealth so that I would never be in need. I could even set myself up to be a beloved benefactor to millions of others if my crime were not discovered. It would probably be fulfilling to me to be adored by the masses.

Does this give you some insight as to why self centeredness is often seen as a character flaw? It's an excuse to put yourself before all others, in ways from minute to horrendous.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 AM

"The problem with all that is that there aren't happiness points, and you can't mathematicize happiness."

Not sure what mathematicization is, but valuation and comparison are all you need. Some choices make you happier than other choices and some choices make other people less happy than other choices. You can approximate how your future choices will effect you and others based on experience. The question is how to act and why once you've done this approximation.

If you don't like my examples the way they are, maybe add a couple zeros and the word "about" and I think they should be acceptable.

"I guess you could argue that when I help others, I only do so for selfish reasons (i.e., it makes me happy to help), but I think that point of view is really solipsistic and wrong."

More on this please. All I see right now is a claim and no support.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arturius,
In my experience the people that have a problem with self-centered people don't like them because they think that self-centeredness is a character flaw, not because they think the self-centered person is stupid. And why try to make someone feel bad for doing something you think is stupid? Seems like a pretty meaningless behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaningless behavior? What the hell are you talking about?