Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 AM

Default ($27) Attempted bluff

Lately I've been running bad and playing worse, and have started to harbor a lot of doubts in my game. This hand in particular really stood out from my session tonight.

1: Do you like my line? Would a river shove have had more FE? Note stack sizes please.

2: What was villain thinking? Seriously, was I that transparent? I feel like I just got raped.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t6365)
CO (t2050)
Button (t1655)
SB (t1690)
Hero (t1740)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t225, Hero calls t150

Flop: (t900) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: (t900) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t150</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t400</font>, UTG calls t250

River: (t1700) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t600</font>, UTG calls t600

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has 7s, 8s (two pair, Queens and Fours)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">UTG has Jh, Tc (two pair, Queens and Fours - Jack kicker)</font>
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Re: (27$) Attempted bluff

on the flop id probably push due to pot size if i was going to bluff. Same on river. I have no [censored] clue how he made that call btw.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Re: ($27) Attempted bluff

fold preflop
fold turn
chk/fold river
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop
fold turn
chk/fold river

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely standard for me FWIW, I played this hand very differently than usual
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 AM

Yeah no reason to bluff this BUT IF YOU MUST, don't be a pussy with your raises. 250 more in a pot of 1050? No one's folding there. 1/3 pot on river? If you're going to bluff, bluff strong. You set it up perfectly for a river shove so push it.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:43 AM

obv this guy is not one to be bluffed, btw. I would probably want a good read to make this play, im guessing from his calltastic play here you didnt have one.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 AM

My thought process was that he was representing absolutely nothing with his turn bet- The only semi-logical hand that he could have would be a slowplayed set -&gt; boat. I figured a thinking player would view my actions as extracting value, and the river bet would have extra FE because of this (it was a large part of my stack and the Q was incredibly safe). Turns out he was either a genius or an absolute retard, and I overthought myself completely.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought process was that he was representing absolutely nothing with his turn bet- The only semi-logical hand that he could have would be a slowplayed set -&gt; boat. I figured a thinking player would view my actions as extracting value, and the river bet would have extra FE because of this (it was a large part of my stack and the Q was incredibly safe). Turns out he was either a genius or an absolute retard, and I overthought myself completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

im with you on your reasoning, but dont expect someone who bluffs 150 into a pot of 900 to understand how a value-bet looks diff from a bluff. I dont dislike your play but id raise it much much more cuz donks dont pick up on subtleties.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM

Big bets &gt;&gt;&gt; trying to represent hands with clever bets at buyins less than $555.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Hey Pennpal, i really like your play (besides the river push)
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7966484

look at that link. I couldnt find my hand in Pokertracker, but exactly the same thing happened to me!
I mean...his jack high couldnt even beat a normal bluff with ace high...I can`t find explanations...I think i have a conspiracy theory