Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

[ QUOTE ]
Bought a whole mountain? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Being older lets you afford the finer things in life, although the tradeoff is poor proofreading skills.

[ QUOTE ]
Good for you on finding a place you feel comfortable in to work out your body and hit the reset button on your spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is key. My younger brother and I own a machine shop, and in our industry delivery is key, so we are under the gun constantly. Getting away on a bike a couple times a week is, so far, great for getting your mind off everything.

My older brother lives in Redondo Beach, and the 3-4 times I visited him I was amazed at the amount of traffic and people in LA. I don't know how you could ride a bike around that city without getting seriously killed.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a nice set of trails about 30 minutes from work I go to during lunch time

[/ QUOTE ]
So it's 30 minutes each way and then the ride on top of it? That's a long-ass lunch. Good thing you're the boss! Is your bike full suspension, front suspension, or hard tail?

I have the opposite preference: the whole prepping of the bike thing and process is too much for me. A friend coerced me into getting full suspension Gary Fisher bike a few years ago and I rode it a fair amount, then last week dusted it off for the first time in two full years. Because to be honest I'm mostly in it for the sweat, so it's way easier to just go to the gym, where my preference lately is to get on a bike with a TV attached to it AND get something to read and turn on the golf channel or something and just go for an hour. Kind of a shame I'm lame like that because Phoenix has a very well known selection of bike trails and there are canals and bike lanes on roads near my place that make it as safe as that sort of thing gets.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi Lounge

Had a great semi vacation in Florida for Halloween, partied with some old friends, did some illegal drugs, even got in some good situations with a girl I used to hang out with.

Been back in Michigan for about 2 weeks now and everything is back to normal. Not many friends up here, but atleast I got 2p2!!!

Conspire
Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM

The latest craziness on the BBC:

Saudi woman gets 200 lashes and jail time for being raped, her lawyer disbarred

Being backwards is a helluva drug.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM

Notify W immediately. We'll make plans to invade because of their oil^H^H^Hhuman rights violations.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Okay, I'll bite. Legally what's the problem here? Or even morally, possibly.

Bleh, nevermind. That's not low content.

PEOPLE NOT FROM AMERICA ARE CRAZY! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So it's 30 minutes each way and then the ride on top of it? That's a long-ass lunch. Good thing you're the boss! Is your bike full suspension, front suspension, or hard tail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's good to be the king. But, I'm there from 6:00am to 5:00pm usually, so I don't think 2 hours here or there will kill anyone. There just aren't any trails near my home, so it's easier to ride during the workweek. Plus, I save myself the indignity of having to beg the missus to leave the house.

My bike's the aforementioned Specialized Hardrock hardtail. I wanted it something similar to my BMX cruiser since that's what I am used to. But knowing what I know now, that the disciplines are not that similar, I may have looked more closely at a full suspension.

[ QUOTE ]
I have the opposite preference: the whole prepping of the bike thing and process is too much for me. A friend coerced me into getting full suspension Gary Fisher bike a few years ago and I rode it a fair amount, then last week dusted it off for the first time in two full years. Because to be honest I'm mostly in it for the sweat, so it's way easier to just go to the gym, where my preference lately is to get on a bike with a TV attached to it AND get something to read and turn on the golf channel or something and just go for an hour. Kind of a shame I'm lame like that because Phoenix has a very well known selection of bike trails and there are canals and bike lanes on roads near my place that make it as safe as that sort of thing gets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are much more disciplined than I am WRT to working out. I have a recumbent bike in my basement smack dab in front of the 50" TV, and I can't bring myself to ride the damn thing for more than 20 minutes, which is the length of a Tivo'd sitcom if you blast thru the commercials.

It would be nice to be in a progressive city such as yours where they actually give people an excuse to get outside, but Detroit is old money and old school - no bike lanes for us.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

If you could do that 20 minutes every day, you'd probably be getting more exercise than 95% of American adults.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Well, once again I find myself in lab late with a big cup of coffee and a big mess of FORTRAN code. The deadline is coming up for finishing all the extra work I got roped into doing at the conference where I presented the results of last time's late night lab sessions. Tonight, I've got to finish off all the writing and get it to compile so that I can finish debugging by Monday morning hopefully. That way, I can spend next week in lab late with a big cup of coffee and a big mess of C++ and/or perl code. My prof asked me to code yet another couple other programs that are only tangentially related to all the FORTRAN I wrote and have no bearing at all on the actual science I'm supposed to be doing. Wheeeeeeee. It's not going to be fun getting all the crap I am supposed to have done by Thanksgiving done by Thanksgiving. Expect a few more sleep-deprived rants in here over the next week.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 PM

That's what happens when you make the obvious error of getting good at something and having other people know it. That oughta learn ya. Learn ya good!
Closed Thread