Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: What\'s Cooking EDF #5

Anyone have a good recipe for Beef Fried Rice? I had chinese food the other day and I could eat like a ton of beef fried rice it's so good.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a good recipe for Beef Fried Rice? I had chinese food the other day and I could eat like a ton of beef fried rice it's so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll need a wok.

ingredients:
day old rice (white asian rice)
cubed beef
green onions
onions
egg
vegetable oil
sesame oil
fish sauce
soy sauce

-- get wok hot and add oil. throw in beef and cook till browned but not completely well done. 4-5 min.

-- add onion and cook till tender (translucent) 2-3 min. do not add the green onion.

-- add rice and mix together. then add soy sauce/salt and pepper / fish sauce to taste. another 1 minute

-- toss around. then move rice to the side of the wok. leave a hole at the bottom of the wok. drop scrambled egg into the middle and cook it. once that's done mix in the green onion and toss for one more minute.

serve hot.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll need a wok.

ingredients:
day old rice (white asian rice)
cubed beef
green onions
onions
egg
vegetable oil
sesame oil
fish sauce
soy sauce

-- get wok hot and add oil. throw in beef and cook till browned but not completely well done. 4-5 min.

-- add onion and cook till tender (translucent) 2-3 min. do not add the green onion.

-- add rice and mix together. then add soy sauce/salt and pepper / fish sauce to taste. another 1 minute

-- toss around. then move rice to the side of the wok. leave a hole at the bottom of the wok. drop scrambled egg into the middle and cook it. once that's done mix in the green onion and toss for one more minute.

serve hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. Gotta buy a wok now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you'll need a wok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine this is true.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM

I also hope you have a gas burner cause woks don't really work too well with weak electric burners, as far as I know.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also hope you have a gas burner cause woks don't really work too well with weak electric burners, as far as I know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed. The reviews I've read have all suggested that using a skillet for stir-fry is better than a wok on weak tops. If you're going to use a flat-bottomed tool, you might as well go with a skillet. Well-seasoned cast-iron is nice for good heat conduction + non-stick.

note: I am NOT a renowned stir-friar.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM

My wok skills are pretty bad. I would love to be good at making stir frys though... so quick and tasty. I can never quite get the timing right. Next time I will cut the veggies thinner so I can just throw them in at the very end and all will be ok.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you'll need a wok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

he won chinee foo.. no skirret!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Pekin Duck Breast with Chinese Spices and Mushrooms

On saturday morning right before I went to the greenmarket, I opened nymag.com and saw a picture of this ridiculous dish from BLT Market. Pekin duck breast is by far my favorite protein so it wasn't a hard sell. Plus I usually make fruit sauces with duck, so this promised to be a nice departure.

The result was excellent. Everything was really really good, especially the duck. The difference in taste between fresh pekin and grocery store muscovy or mallard is crazy to me and I really liked the heavy dose of five-spice I gave it before browning. I largely followed this
recipe , but feel free to make changes as you see fit. I used fresh muschrooms instead of dried Chinese mushrooms, and different type of greens as well.

One thing that really helped this time - I cooked it on medium low while on the skin side to render out a ton of the fat. The duck skin tastes so good when it is crispy and not "lardy".
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 AM

I know in EDF we're looking for more than one liner responses like "that's great."

But for people like me who are interested in the culinary arts as a hobby, people like you BK are an inspiration.

Seeing your extraordinary work gives me (and I sense, a lot of us who read these threads) something to shoot for in terms of where I'd like to be talent-wise in a couple years.

Keep up the great work, we love reading about it!

Stak