Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: How many of you have been or are in the military?

Be 150 miles off shore in 30 foot seas, knowing the only way your are getting home is with the coasties, then make dispariging remarks.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
question for the military guys, how old is to old to get started in a career? Ie, if I wanted to join at the age of 26, w/ the specific goal of being special forces, or black ops type stuff etc, is it too late?

[/ QUOTE ]

The AirForce special forces are called the tac-p i think, they seemed cool, i thought of going that way. There was also Sirs instructors, which train all the special forces in survival, that seemed the most intresting to me, but i changed my mind at the last moment...those would be 2 to look at tho
Old 03-30-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be 150 miles off shore in 30 foot seas, knowing the only way your are getting home is with the coasties, then make dispariging remarks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a friend here in college that got out of the coast guard recently. Hes a bad ass in a totally diffrent way, he has told me some crazy storiesabout jumping in 30-50ft waves and pulling out people.
But i am pretty sure hes an exception as he wanted to work and made sure he was stationed where he could help. The coast guard down here just have nice equipment....thats all i have seen them do
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Not in yet, but my tentative date for going to basic is mid may. Trying to join as a 25b, but color blindness might screw me.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What branch does the coolest stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what you like, and I think the job is more important than the branch. The Army is not the coolest branch but my job is cooler than almost any job in any other branch.

[ QUOTE ]
what branch would you go into if you wanted to go into intelligence or the cia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know too much about intel but I think every branch has intel people.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Could anyone field guids questions? I am also curious about the "elite" divisions in the different branches, and what qualifications one would need to consider going for it.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 AM

Everything you need to know about joining the Army's SF

Physical requirements are not that difficult, staying motivated enough to get through the entire process is probably the hardest part.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 AM

2 years airborne, 8 months SF (discharge with knee injury meatbombing from 500)
Old 03-31-2007, 07:48 AM

10 months in swedish marine core as a guard, I have looked at more ids than anyone else on 2p2
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 AM

Navy is the best way to go: no matter what happens in the world, or where you are sent, you always get three hot meals and a bed.

But those white uniforms look horrible on fat guys like me (see Rip Torn at the end of "Down Periscope"), so I couldn't join the Navy.

I'm too laid back to be a Marine, so that was out. It was either Army or Air Force for me. Flying sounded cool, so I went to the AF recruiter first:

HIM: Can I help you?
ME: I'm thinking about enlisting.
HIM: (skeptical) To do what?
ME: I dunno. Fly planes, maybe?
HIM: Do you have 20/20 uncorrected?
ME: I don't think so.
HIM: Then you can't fly a plane. Do you want to fix planes?
ME: (I don't like this guy's attitude) No, I don't.
HIM: Well, if you can't fly planes, and you don't want to fix them, I can't use you.

So that's how I ended up in the army.

Somebody asked about intelligence MOS's. I put up super-high numbers on all the aptitude tests, so they steered me towards MI (military intelligence). I was a 98G (Intelligence Interceptor/Analyst). My job was sit on the DMZ, strap on some headphones, and listen to the North Koreans (this was WAY before 9/11/01, the North Koreans were the closest thing to a viable threat at the time).

After Basic Training, I was sent to the DoD's Foreign Language school in Monterey, CA, where I was given a one-year crash course in Korean. My work day was in a classroom, 7 AM to 3 PM, M-F, with about 4-6 hours of homework/studying each night. Because they want you to focus on your studies, they didn't make a big deal about making your bed perfectly ("civilian bedding authorized" means, "Just throw a comforter over it!") and crap like that.

After sweet, cushy year in beautiful Monterey, the plan was to go to Fort Huachuca in Arizona to learn about the radio equipment I'd be using...then off to DMZ land. Lucky for me, I got discharged at the end of my stay in Monterey (overweight--not "lazy and malingering", but "busting my ass and still unable to get below the max numbers for my height"). My friends who went on tell me that Korea sucked ass, big time. They each had to room with a Korean soldier, and they were told to only speak Korean whenever possible (it's the only way to learn). Major suckage. Korean is HARD. It's not Spanish or French.

I don't understand all the love for the "elite" units like Rangers and Seals. That stuff's hard. Go MI, it's easy!

"C-130 coming down the strip
Ain't no MI on that trip
MI, MI, working hard
Drinking coffee, playing cards!"