Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Can Today\'s 50 Year Old Be Favored To Reach 90?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the rate of dementia (any form) is in 90 year olds?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they're not on online forums posting and exercising their minds.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM

50 year olds who are fit should have nearly a 50/50 chance.
But what percentage of 50 year old white males are fit?
Less than 10%???
Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 PM

I don't know, but I tell every out of shape enlisted kid that works for me "you never see fat 70 year olds," (because they're dead) and I see a lot of fat 50 year olds in America.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM

DS,

I doubt it. Theres too high a risk of accidental death for most people who IMO will be able to fit the correct lifestyle patterns (wealthy, fit). You may, however, be able to find a really small subset that fits it, but no way of really testing. I think you could get pretty close... Maybe 35-45%?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DS,

I doubt it. Theres too high a risk of accidental death for most people who IMO will be able to fit the correct lifestyle patterns (wealthy, fit). You may, however, be able to find a really small subset that fits it, but no way of really testing. I think you could get pretty close... Maybe 35-45%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If only there was an industry built on pricing this sort of proposition. If only...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DS,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If only there was an industry built on pricing this sort of proposition. If only...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if they get down to specifics like: "Do you eat a calorie restricted diet everyday?" "Do you eat red meat?" "What religion are you?" "How happy is your marriage?" "Are these answers to these health questions accurate?"

Obv actuaries give us a starting point and I'd like to imagine DS realizes this as well and wants to see what is beyond them.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DS,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if they get down to specifics like: "Do you eat a calorie restricted diet everyday?" "Do you eat red meat?" "What religion are you?" "How happy is your marriage?" "Are these answers to these health questions accurate?"

Obv actuaries give us a starting point and I'd like to imagine DS realizes this as well and wants to see what is beyond them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If actuaries give us a starting point, then isn't it sensible to start there rather than speculate about what to do when we reach the end of their data's use?

edit: decided not to edit after all.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DS,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If actuaries give us a starting point, then isn't it sensible to start there rather than speculate about what to do when we reach the end of their data's use?

edit: decided not to edit after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies. Clearly DS in his senile ramblings wants real tangible answers instead of random musings like every other thread he creates (Barring that one he made that landed me a little 2p2 vacay). My error.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 AM

why do people want to live that old. it is depressing as hell.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 AM

I doubt it. Ill health and diminished capacity are what is depressing as hell, not simply being old. But not all people get a huge dose of that before dying. If you hit 90, you've probably got pretty good genes, so you might be one of the ones still doing okay when older.