Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Holdem SSNL Discussion

In response to all the people who say that the book is not very helpful for playing top pair/overpair hands online where the standard stack is 100BB, I point you to the commitment threshold section. This may be something that was intuitive for many people, but to absoltely start planning your hand around commitment and to have a commitment plan when you have put 10% of the effective stack in the pot is very strong advice. It really gets you to to begin the REM process early in the hand and, even in the middling SPR ranges that give TP/overpair hands grief, makes those TP/overpair hands easier to play.

In response to those people that think this book advocates "nitty" play, I disagree wholeheartedly, as the book practically gives you a roadmap on how to push tightish players off top pair hands even after they've put a sizeable chunk of their stack into the pot. Additionally, there are numerous examples of "target practice" where the preflop lines that are taken are very creative, such as limp reraising with AQ against a LAG player so as to get to an SPR around 5-7 so you can commit on the flop when you spike top pair. I wouldn't call that nitty at all, in fact, it's pretty darn Laggy!

In closing, I am VERY much looking forward to using these concepts both online and in person (where the buyins are either 100 or 150 BBs, and sometimes uncapped. This book could not have come out at a better time, as I have a long weekend trip to foxwoods coming up in 2 weeks, and a long weekend trip to vegas coming up in 6 weeks. SPR ftw!
Ryan