Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Default why don\'t more bikes have kickstands?

when i was a kid all the bikes had kickstands, but now that i'm getting into biking again, none of them do. i'm guessing this is some kind of weird bike-snob thing? they're pretty convenient.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: why don\'t more bikes have kickstands?

They get loose and fall down. They're also heavy. You can easily buy one and attach it to any bike if you want it.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Nothing says newb cyclist like a kickstand. Especially if you are riding a road bike or a mountain bike. If you are riding a cruiser or comfort bike go ahead and get one, anyone who is going to give you crap about it will have more reason than a kickstand.

Another serious reason is that when you have a bike that costs several hundred to several thousand dollars you aren't likely to leave it in front of the grocery store while you go shopping so there is little need for one.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM

God I hate bike snobs
Old 07-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Because my training wheels hold it up for me when Im not using it.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Another serious reason is that when you have a bike that costs several hundred to several thousand dollars you aren't likely to leave it in front of the grocery store while you go shopping so there is little need for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone spend several thousand on a bicycle? I mean, you can get a car for that much. Can you try to describe me me what makes a very nice bike better than just an average bike?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone spend several thousand on a bicycle? I mean, you can get a car for that much. Can you try to describe me me what makes a very nice bike better than just an average bike?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, y'all are talking about bycicles right?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be fairly obvious that any product that is mechanical in nature has different degrees of how well it is made.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be fairly obvious that any product that is mechanical in nature has different degrees of how well it is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true but nobody's dropping 15k on a pair of scissors. i would be curious to test drive a really nice bike sometime though.

as for the original question, here are a couple times that a kickstand would have been handy.

- i am stopped at a light when i realized that i forgot to roll my jeans up on my right leg. there's really no graceful way to do this w/o a kickstand. i wound up crouching down to do it while my bike leaned against my back.

- a bunch of people leave their bikes in my garage. if we had kickstands they could stand up in free space, but as it is we have to lean some against the way and then lean a few more bikes on top of those bikes.

- in general i find it annoying to lock up my bike on any kind of incline because sometimes the front wheel starts turning and rolling.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ getting a car for "several thousand"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]