Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 01:35 PM

Default HS FB Coach tries to kick kids off team for donating blood

Pretty awesome stuff.

Coach sees kids donating blood, kicks them off the team before practice on Monday.

Coach is then surprised by the public uproar.

Eventually reinstates kids, but they lose their starting jobs because they missed practice on Monday!

News Story
Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: HS FB Coach tries to kick kids off team for donating blood

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty awesome stuff.

Coach sees kids donating blood, kicks them off the team before practice on Monday.

Coach is then surprised by the public uproar.

Eventually reinstates kids, but they lose their starting jobs because they missed practice on Monday!

News Story

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did I know even before looking that this coach would be in Texas?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Donating blood right before a practice is really stupid, and if they were planning on doing it there should have been some communication with the coaching staff beforehand. They can make this out that he kicked them off, and they lost their starting spots because they donated blood, but in reality its for being stupid and not properly communicating with their coaching staff.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donating blood right before a practice is really stupid, and if they were planning on doing it there should have been some communication with the coaching staff beforehand. They can make this out that he kicked them off, and they lost their starting spots because they donated blood, but in reality its for being stupid and not properly communicating with their coaching staff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, however the coach kicking them off the team is a pretty big overreaction.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, however the coach kicking them off the team is a pretty big overreaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it likely was harsh and just a gut reaction to it, however we also don't know the coach's side of the story as he has refused to comment (likley wise as anything he says will probably just be turned on him to try to make him look bad anyways). For all we know, he may have done exactly what all my coaches in HS did whenever we had a blood drive. Same old speech, donating blood is your choice and if you wish to please let us know ahead of time and know that you will not be allowed to practice that day, and if it was on a game or meet day we were absolutely forbidden from donating.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 PM

i think it was a little harsh from the coach...but what were the kids thinking about donating blood and then going to practice...i donate blood a lot and am told to take it ez for the rest of the day...so how can practice be a good idea...??
Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it was a little harsh from the coach...but what were the kids thinking about donating blood and then going to practice...i donate blood a lot and am told to take it ez for the rest of the day...so how can practice be a good idea...??

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't play in Texas, so my experience was quite different, but on Mondays we spent an hour or so going over the previous game + scouting report for the coming week, walked through the new plays on O, did sort of a walkthrough scouting report on the field, and went home. Granted, you still need to tell your coach about it, but it wouldn't have barred you from practicing. I'm sure Texas is way different.